• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Considering a Move to North Carolina - Questions

drfranklin

Reaction score
Greensboro, NC(weekdays)/Greenville, SC(weekends)
This is a great forum - I know there are many NC posters
I am seriously considering a move to the Charlotte metro - I've lived in Upstate SC for about a decade - BUT, this job opportunity (in Charlotte) may be difficult to turn down
Specifically, this job opportunity located in Concord. I have three older children so public schools are very important. Additionally, two of my children are top competitive swimmers in SC - I've heard great things about SwimMAC (competitive swim program) - we need a house/place of residence close to this swim club - the closest locations are Huntersville and Davidson (to Concord)
Lastly, after living near DT Greenville SC with extremely overpriced homes, I do not want to spend a lot on a residence - I do not mind commutes - what are the pros/cons living in Mecklenberg vs Cabarrus vs Iredell Counties? (looking for inexpensive properties with significant upside potential) - I would not mind living as far as Mooresville but I do not know how realistic that would be (commute times, Iredell county schools, etc)
Thank you to all NC posters!

I am seriously considering a move to the Charlotte metro - I've lived in Upstate SC for about a decade - BUT, this job opportunity (in Charlotte) may be difficult to turn down
Specifically, this job opportunity located in Concord. I have three older children so public schools are very important. Additionally, two of my children are top competitive swimmers in SC - I've heard great things about SwimMAC (competitive swim program) - we need a house/place of residence close to this swim club - the closest locations are Huntersville and Davidson (to Concord)
Lastly, after living near DT Greenville SC with extremely overpriced homes, I do not want to spend a lot on a residence - I do not mind commutes - what are the pros/cons living in Mecklenberg vs Cabarrus vs Iredell Counties? (looking for inexpensive properties with significant upside potential) - I would not mind living as far as Mooresville but I do not know how realistic that would be (commute times, Iredell county schools, etc)
I graduated a couple years ago from Mooresville High School. It's actually it's own district. Just Mooresville Graded School District. IMO it's one of the best school districts around and I am best freinds with the superintendents son. It's also a good place to live because it's away from all the hassle in CLT. But just a 30 min drive down 77. The road 150 can be quite busy at times but I live in extreme southern Mooresville away from 150. It's a great place to live

Mecklenburg- Shorter commute

Iredell- More snow, get to watch soul-crushing suburbia eat away rolling countryside. Also, get to park your car for free on I-77. My recommendation is Cabarrus. Check out Harrisburg. Eastern Meck is ok but as someone who went to elementary school in eastern meck until 2nd grade, they aren't the best schools. Also piss everyone in Concord off by pronouncing the town as Conquered !

If Im you I'd be weary of NC Public Education. The Govenor and State BOE are more concerned with indoctrinating your kids with a world view through a liberal/left/Globalist prism,than they are teaching them the 3 R's.

Now if you subscribe to that, then you want have anything to worry with. This practice is really bogging down an education system that used to be looked upon favorabley on a national scale. I have 2 teachers in public education and was once part of it myself. Got away from keeping the main thing,the main thing and substituted it with the wrong thing('s).

If Im you I'd be weary of NC Public Education. The Govenor and State BOE are more concerned with indoctrinating your kids with a world view through a liberal/left/Globalist prism,than they are teaching them the 3 R's.

Now if you subscribe to that, then you want have anything to worry with. This practice is really bogging down an education system that used to be looked upon favorabley on a national scale. I have 2 teachers in public education and was once part of it myself. Got away from keeping the main thing,the main thing and substituted it with the wrong thing('s).
Public schools are going down the drain, school choice is the future. Charter schools are booming. I say find one and try to get in.

Thank you for all the replies!
I've had several Charlotte residents reach out to me re "cancer clusters" in Huntersville/Mooresville/Iredell County - and to avoid buying in those areas - any opinions?
I might focus on Cabarrus County
It looks like the real estate market is on fire in desirable areas of the Charlotte Metro (just like it is in Greenville SC)

I've had several Charlotte residents reach out to me re "cancer clusters" in Huntersville/Mooresville/Iredell County - and to avoid buying in those areas - any opinions?
It looks like the real estate market is on fire in desirable areas of the Charlotte Metro (just like it is in Greenville SC)
Yeah, probably a good idea to avoid the nice contaminated cancer giving soil from Duke energy. Concord or Harrisburg it is!

I'm just here to give this advice:

You know how most cities call their central district downtown? Well not in CLT they don't. It's Uptown Charlotte.

Couple times a year, they have a Nascar race at the speedway. Be aware of when that happens, because traffic really clogs up those Sundays on 85 around Concord.

Mecklenburg local roads are a bit unusual in that most of them don't go straight NS or EW. A lot of them just go towards downtown from wherever they started out of the city. (I'm sorry, uptown I mean ;) )

Anyway, I really like Charlotte, and it's booming like crazy. Some people living in Raleigh get sidetracked arguing whichever city in NC is actually booming the most (between the two of them), but this is extremely silly in my opinion since both are doing extremely well, and you see both of them all the time in those top 10 up and coming cities across the country.

Back