• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

5/18/20 - 5/23/20 Upper Low Flooding & Severe Threat

Looking like there is going to be some real focus of banding and precip in central NC from all the short range guidance I’ve seen ... radar is going to be looking very interesting next day or so

The German model is a crush job.

It actually rained hard here for a few minutes

I'm noticing the rain is somewhat heavier than you would think based on returns. Sometimes even under clear radars I have a small beady tropical type rain. Millions of tiny drops, heavier than a hard drizzle.

3.17 total, this is just a straight-up weird event. Almost tropical storm-like squall lines (minus the wind), oh and its 50F on may 20th

Looking like there is going to be some real focus of banding and precip in central NC from all the short range guidance I’ve seen ... radar is going to be looking very interesting next day or so

There's going to be strong near-surface frontogenesis over the eastern piedmont & west-central coastal plain driven largely by strong low-level convergence at the edge of the CAD dome as it merges with a weak surface trough leftover from today's precipitation.

You can clearly see that here on the 3km NAM forecast, respectable NE winds of up to 15 knots over the north-central coastal plain decelerate to 7-10 m/s in the Pee Dee region of SC. This cause air to pile up (& rise) in between somewhere in the vicinity of the HWY 421 corridor (Wilmington-Fayetteville-Sanford, etc).

1589999685188.png

Wet snow this morning per Raysweather on Mount Mitchell. Rain is here now in Wilkes but I doubt it stays long. Maybe till 6 before clearing.

So other than current band overhead i77 tonight shouldn’t be as heavy as originally expected. Just showery without heavy convection.

Every setup has to be a boundary setup doesn’t it, really don’t wanna have to chase E49C438A-C62B-4A85-88EE-C3F1E3F35F6C.pngE90BDAFD-194F-4389-BF8F-8A0B271A3276.png

Back