• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry 3/10-13 Winter Weather

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saturday on Mt. LeConte by the numbers: high temp of 9° that steadily dropped to -4° during the night. Total snow accumulation of 10”, made nearly impossible to gauge with such persistent drifting, over a foot in numerous places. We never quite got the intense winds that were predicted, but even max gusts of 30mph put the wind chill factor around -30° at times. Even with propane heaters and layers of blankets, this type of cold serves as a reminder why the lodge is still closed during the winter.

Even by measley Birmingham standards - this was a good winter. 3-4 close calls with 2 that produced more than a dusting. It wasn’t the best I’ve had in 14 years here but it might be a close 3rd. 2014 was the best. We had the 5” pre Xmas snow In 2017 I believe. And this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Need that low to keep pushing south or the warm nose is going to hurt a lot of feelings. We've been down this road many times, and that transition is always slower than expected. I wouldn't put my house on it, but if I had to, I would say extreme NW AL will be the only area that verifies WSW criteria consistently across the area. Along and east of I65 is going to be tough to transition quick enough before the moisture flies out of here. Should be fun to track, but I'm just not buying in yet.
Now that my timeout is over, just going to drop this here....posted at 5:53am on Friday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back