• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc 2021 Spring/Summer Whamby Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep I bet Fran was 70-80 here center looks to have been maybe 10-15 miles away
Center passed just west of here I think? Which means Zebulon would have been in the NE eye wall of it . Mmmmm ! I am shaded in the 70-90 peak gusts from Fran with places east being higher , so yeah the worst of it did pass . Mmmmm ! If only we get that but with a cat 5 instead , just imagine !

Reactions: SD
100 is doable , 115 is unimaginable . Hazel had RDU gusting to 90 and Fayetteville to 110. @SD house easily gusted over 100 in that scenario ! 120s in Kinston and Goldsboro!
I imagine if a cat 5 with 160 mph winds slammed into Myrtle Beach headed north at a fast speed that wind gusts well over 100 would be possible in Raleigh.

Or could you imagine a hurricane hitting Myrtle Beach with sustained winds of 200 mph headed north at a fast pace ? Raleigh might have sustained winds of at least 130 with gusts over 150 :eek:

Hurricane Opal may be the most exciting storm I've ever experienced. Had it not weakened before landfall the impacts would have been incredible. I will never forget Cantore saying "Atlanta this storm is yours too" or something like that. It gave me goosebumps.

Or could you imagine a hurricane hitting Myrtle Beach with sustained winds of 200 mph headed north at a fast pace ? Raleigh might have sustained winds of at least 130 with gusts over 150 :eek:
Or can you imagine you not trolling ? I think a 200mph cane hitting myrtle beach is more likely than you ever stopping trolling .

The 1992-1996 period was epic from a weather standpoint in GA. The big snow in 1992, blizzard in 93, huge flooding from Alberto in 94, opal in 95, insane cold in 96. That 4 year period from Jan 92-Feb 96 will be hard to ever top.

Center passed just west of here I think? Which means Zebulon would have been in the NE eye wall of it . Mmmmm ! I am shaded in the 70-90 peak gusts from Fran with places east being higher , so yeah the worst of it did pass . Mmmmm ! If only we get that but with a cat 5 instead , just imagine !
Fran is my #2 all time event. I'll never forget the sound of the wind that night and how things looked the next morning when the sun came up. My old neighbors in Knightdale showed me pictures the day after from that area and it looked like something you would see near the beaches. I personally hope we never get another like that but I feel like we will in the next 10-20 years the return period on something like that for our area seems to be 30-50 yrs

There was a hurricane that hit somewhere in the Carolinas in September 1999. I remember I was going to drive there and chase it but I got to Augusta and turned around.

Or imagine a hurricane hitting Myrtle Beach with sustained winds at 1000 mph headed north northwest at a fast clip. I bet wind speeds of 200 mph+ would be doable in Raleigh

Fran is my #2 all time event. I'll never forget the sound of the wind that night and how things looked the next morning when the sun came up. My old neighbors in Knightdale showed me pictures the day after from that area and it looked like something you would see near the beaches. I personally hope we never get another like that but I feel like we will in the next 10-20 years the return period on something like that for our area seems to be 30-50 yrs
Floyd and believe it or not Irene close 2nd and 3rd events for me, and no contrary to what @Lickwx will say I was not around for Hazel Lol. Floyd obviously the water, even here where it never floods (and we didn't flood) but every single creek came over top of the bridges, never seen that in my life, we drove around and could not go anywhere due to that. Next day it all had receded and of course headed down east to pile on the catastrophic flooding there. Winds weren't powerful, around 50-60 mph but due to all the rain, trees came down easily, in fact, wife and I watched a Pecan tree in our yard fall like slow motion, fortunately not on the house.

But Irene just from the duration of the event, max wind was only 60, but it had such an expansive wind field we dealt with those gust for over 12 hours. Many places around RR were without power for a week with that one.

Or imagine a hurricane hitting Myrtle Beach with sustained winds at 1000 mph headed north northwest at a fast clip. I bet wind speeds of 200 mph+ would be doable in Raleigh
Imagine this occurring late season and energy from an early season PV lobe dives into, transitions to an ET system, with winds of 200 mph plus rain changing to snow and drifts 15' tall.

Floyd and believe it or not Irene close 2nd and 3rd events for me, and no contrary to what @Lickwx will say I was not around for Hazel Lol. Floyd obviously the water, even here where it never floods (and we didn't flood) but every single creek came over top of the bridges, never seen that in my life, we drove around and could not go anywhere due to that. Next day it all had receded and of course headed down east to pile on the catastrophic flooding there. Winds weren't powerful, around 50-60 mph but due to all the rain, trees came down easily, in fact, wife and I watched a Pecan tree in our yard fall like slow motion, fortunately not on the house.

But Irene just from the duration of the event, max wind was only 60, but it had such an expansive wind field we dealt with those gust for over 12 hours. Many places around RR were without power for a week with that one.
We slept downstairs for Floyd I remember young weenie SD thinking it was a fail bc nothing happened imby until I saw the news. What was Isabel like for you? I was still in sanford and it was fairly impressive.

We slept downstairs for Floyd I remember young weenie SD thinking it was a fail bc nothing happened imby until I saw the news. What was Isabel like for you? I was still in sanford and it was fairly impressive.
Isabel your standard run of the mill tropical system here lol, some decent rain and strong enough winds to take down a few trees mainly around creek beds where the ground was softer, but really not bad at all. However, weenie adult metwannabe, decides to drive out in it to see conditions and couldn't come back home same way I left because a tree had fallen across the road. I was almost a statistic.

Btw, I remember being disappointed when I got up on the morning of Sept. 23, 1989 and the sun was shining...... then saw the damage in SC and Charlotte

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back