• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Gardening Thread

The Hydrangeas didn't get nipped too bad. The growth at the bottom survived, maybe increased warmth from the ground radiation prevented the freeze.

Anybody got any recommendations for a drip system that I can customize the lines?

The Hydrangeas didn't get nipped too bad. The growth at the bottom survived, maybe increased warmth from the ground radiation prevented the freeze.

Anybody got any recommendations for a drip system that I can customize the lines?
Just go to Home Depot or Lowe’s and ask for help in the irrigation section. Drip as you mentioned, is best and most efficient way to water. I’m not that handy and would just move the sprinkler around during our summer annual droughts

Planted 3 1 gallon gardenias just two weeks ago. Already starting nice blooms.

1620143634953.png

Reactions: SD
Mack,

Best mulch for healthy soils? Would going cedar or pine for too long raise the acidity?

Mack,

Best mulch for healthy soils? Would going cedar or pine for too long raise the acidity?
I have always used hardwood mulch. Just a preference, I like what it does to the clay soil as it breaks down. Cedar and pine , would definitely raise the acidity of the soils over time, but probably take years to notice any changes and most of the SE soils are already fairly acidic. If you needed more acidic soil, like you wanted to grow blueberries, which like a ph of 5.5 or lower, or want your mop head hydrangeas to be bluer, you could use the acidic mulches around them.

Back