• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Gardening Thread

We will see I'm not sold personally 3 green ups seems like a big ask
Plants are very resilient. Not sure what the max numbers of regrowth, and freezes, it would take to kill the plants!?

Reactions: SD
Plants are very resilient. Not sure what the max numbers of regrowth, and freezes, it would take to kill the plants!?
Me either I guess we are about find out. I vaguely remember there being a bunch of prerequisites that basically boiled down to plant health=stored energy=resilience after freezes

Took a walk through the yard earlier:

Grass: Alive
Dandelions: Alive
Hydrangeas: Alive
Azaleas: Alive
Crepe Myrtles: Alive
Rose bushes: Alive
Henbit: Alive
Chickweed: Alive
Little maple tree: Alive

The little flowers on the Azaleas are not as robust, but it may be time for them to be done anyway. We only got down to 30 for a couple of hours, though.

Me either I guess we are about find out. I vaguely remember there being a bunch of prerequisites that basically boiled down to plant health=stored energy=resilience after freezes

My Hydrangeas are taking a beating with these freezes. I think they'll survive, but i'm not sure i'm getting any flowers at this point.

Also, @Rain Cold you forgot one

Clover: Alive

But duh cold felt so gud
View attachment 82266
We lost 1 whole month of greenery , pretty impressive . Apparently though it will save us from the heat , the oppressive 70 degree heat . Oh the agony . Our year so far - 50s , and now likely straight to 80s and 90s. Hey at least we avoided those horrible 70s though. I mean who would want to have that?

We'd have 90s by now!
When do you typically brown out in the fall? I ask, because if you don't regreen by May, and last till Halloween, you won't have a green lawn for 6 months this year...

let alone actual summer

When do you typically brown out in the fall? I ask, because if you don't regreen by May, and last till Halloween, you won't have a green lawn for 6 months this year...

let alone actual summer
Right around Halloween. Yeah how depressing, last year was early March through early November

My hydrangeas were burnt to the ground back at Easter so they didn't get much damage. My tomatoes turned out okay but my taters up in the front yard took a beating. The bermuda up front is toast as well.

We lost 1 whole month of greenery , pretty impressive . Apparently though it will save us from the heat , the oppressive 70 degree heat . Oh the agony . Our year so far - 50s , and now likely straight to 80s and 90s. Hey at least we avoided those horrible 70s though. I mean who would want to have that?
What's impressive to me is how well most trees held up I would have expected more loss there.

My hydrangeas were burnt to the ground back at Easter so they didn't get much damage. My tomatoes turned out okay but my taters up in the front yard took a beating. The bermuda up front is toast as well.
Get ready for every weed under the sun to try to take advantage of the late and likely thin bermuda green up unless you have preem down

Get ready for every weed under the sun to try to take advantage of the late and likely thin bermuda green up unless you have preem down
It's all green when you cut it. I have a rather active and destructive lab so I gave up on fighting my weeds a long time ago. Whatever covers the ground works for me.

Back