• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Gardening Thread

No Perennials. I'm fickle and want to be able to change the layout year to year. lol
Numerous perennials as well as some tropicals , and others are used in the garden as annuals because they are not cold hardy in our areas. Mack mentioned Lantana, it's a workhorse and reliable, Hibiscus, Bougainvillea are some options and you can plant pot and all in the ground. After the first frost or freeze they'll be toast.

Any rose growers in the crowd? With the PV hanging out nearby, when to prune may be a challenge in the next couple of weeks.

Reactions: SD
@Tarheel1 so no blue spruce for me huh?
I wouldn’t plant one if I was you! It may look good for a year or two, they don’t like the heat! You can see lots of good specimens in Asheville and in the mountains, they just can’t take the piedmont heat

Reactions: JJr
I wouldn’t plant one if I was you! It may look good for a year or two, they don’t like the heat! You can see lots of good specimens in Asheville and in the mountains, they just can’t take the piedmont heat
Meh that sucks. Where can I get red hot pokers

@Tarheel1 so no blue spruce for me huh?
Just enjoy your Arizona Cypress
I think there is a Arizona Cypress cultivar called ‘blue ice’ also! Get you a Ruby Falls redbud tree or ‘Rising Sun’ redbud, call it a day! They are deciduous, but tough as nails, full sun for best color!

Meh that sucks. Where can I get red hot pokers
Look online, Lowe’s has some last year, they really look ugly when the flowers are gone! Get you some ice plant and some Homestead purple verbena

Been thinking about pruning my knockouts any suggestions?
Now and as low as you want! Watch out for Rose Rosette virus, if you get a bunch of red bushy growth that doesn’t look normal, dig up the whole plant and burn! It’s nasty and really affects knockout roses, really bad

Just enjoy your Arizona Cypress
I think there is a Arizona Cypress cultivar called ‘blue ice’ also! Get you a Ruby Falls redbud tree or ‘Rising Sun’ redbud, call it a day! They are deciduous, but tough as nails, full sun for best color!
I’ll virtually plant the he’ll out of anybody’s yard! I miss not having one! ?

• Haha
I'll post pics you can tell me what I should add
If you’re he’ll bent on blueish foliage, there is a Juniper called ‘blue angelica’ I think, should get about 5-8’ x 5-8’ , shrub, but super easy to grow, full blazing sun, I’ve grown it, looks good

If you’re he’ll bent on blueish foliage, there is a Juniper called ‘blue angelica’ I think, should get about 5-8’ x 5-8’ , shrub, but super easy to grow, full blazing sun, I’ve grown it, looks good
I'm really looking for thick moderate height 4-8 foot evergreens. Really want to get the back porch screened off from the neighbors

I'm really looking for thick moderate height 4-8 foot evergreens. Really want to get the back porch screened off from the neighbors
Dwarf Burford hollies are bulletproof, very common and the tag probably says 5’x 5’, but after 10-15 years, mine were almost 8-9’ tall and wide, great shrub tho and red berries in winter. Or the Angelica junipers, both good for your situ

Been thinking about pruning my knockouts any suggestions?
2nd what Mack said, Knockouts are pretty forgiving and they respond well to hedge clippers and cut back hard.
RRD is rose hell,! A plant gets infected by a small mite that is transported by the wind and is a guaranteed slow death to the plant.
You tend to see it more on Knockouts because they are used in mass plantings in open areas. In some cases they can be infected in the greenhouse before sent to market.

I second the hollies! They are strong trees and don’t tip over like leyland cypress. I got to finish cutting one down that is tipped half way over my backyard ! It’s technically not ours but it’s our responsibility to cut it I guess.

As for the desired blue tint for your trees , didn’t realize you were a tar hell @SD! Grab a good ol loblolly line and cover it in tar heel Carolina blue flags ! That will satisfy your desire for blue !

SD, check these places out! plant Delights nursery is in or near RAH, they only have a few weekends in spring and fall when you can shop there, they mostly do mail order. They have choice stuff ! And MrMaple, has amazing / rare plants and tons of Japanese Maples. Pics won’t post, FFS

2nd what Mack said, Knockouts are pretty forgiving and they respond well to hedge clippers and cut back hard.
RRD is rose hell,! A plant gets infected by a small mite that is transported by the wind and is a guaranteed slow death to the plant.
You tend to see it more on Knockouts because they are used in mass plantings in open areas. In some cases they can be infected in the greenhouse before sent to market.
Also, I heard the way the Knockouts were bred, to make them so easy to grow, makes them much more susceptible to the RRD.

Also, I heard the way the Knockouts were bred, to make them so easy to grow, makes them much more susceptible to the RRD.
Definitely trade offs when breeding for certain results, in search of disease resistance you my loose fragrance and flower form. Yellow and purple roses are susceptible to disease more than others because of the breeding to achieve their color. Most varieties of these 2 colors are fragrant.

Back