• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Gardening Thread

Idk if I want to deal with it. It'll stress me out in winter
Depends , your zone 8A . Mean minimum probably similar to the airport so about 12 degrees , a once in 10 year freeze would be under 5 , similar to the 4 degrees in 2018. I’d stick to palms that can survive that . Sabal minor , needle , and windmill palms would handle it and you would never worry. Sabal palmetto like at the beach would be good too bar a particularly cold year like 2018.

They are great! About the fasted growing shrub I know! Check out Mr Maple . Com, if you like unique trees and shrubs! Also you live near some awesome nurseries like PLANT Delights nursery and Camforest nursery! You need some camellias! Especially camellia sasanquas, if you don’t have much shade. Ligustrum sunshine, great also! Sorry I needed out and don’t have a yard anymore

They are great! About the fasted growing shrub I know! Check out Mr Maple . Com, if you like unique trees and shrubs! Also you live near some awesome nurseries like PLANT Delights nursery and Camforest nursery! You need some camellias! Especially camellia sasanquas, if you don’t have much shade. Ligustrum sunshine, great also! Sorry I needed out and don’t have a yard anymore
Haha keep giving me suggestions. I'm trying to wall my yard in with trees and shrubs versus buying a fence. I have no shade so I've been out on camellias but I love them so

Haha keep giving me suggestions. I'm trying to wall my yard in with trees and shrubs versus buying a fence. I have no shade so I've been out on camellias but I love them so
Camellia Sasanquas , can take full sun and bloom in the fall( octoberish)

No way they got live oaks in dubuque ! They would shed their leaves or die off entirely in dubuque .
They have some oak with bigger oak leaves that stay on even now, they turn brown and just stay on until new ones come in, so they tell me

Any of the camellias fragrant? I've seen quite a few that I liked but never tried em
Not normally fragrant. There is one I know of called Apple Blossom, that has a slight fragrance.

You guys got any suggestions on different summer annuals this year? Wanting to change it up from the usual fare that is at lowes.

You guys got any suggestions on different summer annuals this year? Wanting to change it up from the usual fare that is at lowes.
Depending on the area and desired results, you could possibly use some tropicals or flowering ornamentals. This could get pricey but is an option. Also might want to check out some perennials.

I suggest sun patiens, you can find them at Lowe’s, but they are still not common, and variegated ones are available and awesome, but can be hard to find and higher end nurseries may have them! Sweet flag is a good tough yellow grass that is good for pots. Lantana look good in pots. Creeping Charlie, sweet potatoe vine green and purple are good also

Depending on the area and desired results, you could possibly use some tropicals or flowering ornamentals. This could get pricey but is an option. Also might want to check out some perennials.
No Perennials. I'm fickle and want to be able to change the layout year to year. lol

Back