• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Gardening Thread

Ligustrum ‘ Sunshine’ and a clematis, from my zone 7B house8A07D4E8-7B7B-4D60-866F-58AE544725D7.png3EE8240B-F02E-47AF-88D9-6345C2485543.png

My watermelons totally flopped this year (No Pun intended!) with the late start due to the cold lingering around. They didn't ripen until end of August and by then the sun was too weak and they didn't generate enough sugars. Just very Meh in flavor.
That sucks! As y’all know, weather and gardening go hand in hand! It was an extraordinarily wet year this year, shrubs and trees should have flourished, I can see it causing a lot of issues with fruit and veggies

@Tarheel1 wait till I post my favorite plants .... pines palms and live oak trees !
Up here , blue spruces and other conifers, are everywhere! They have some kind of regular maple trees, not Japanese maples, with dark red/purple leaves and hydrangeas are everywhere! I’m in an apartment, so my plants are limited

Up here , blue spruces and other conifers, are everywhere! They have some kind of regular maple trees, not Japanese maples, with dark red/purple leaves and hydrangeas are everywhere! I’m in an apartment, so my plants are limited
Beautiful Mack, I'm a conifer man too. Roses are my summer hobby and will try to add some pics later
Great thread !.

Beautiful Mack, I'm a conifer man too. Roses are my summer hobby and will try to add some pics later
Great thread !.
Here in Dubuque, they have an arboretum with a conifer and mini conifer garden! It’s pretty cool

I for one am ready for some sunshine and dry weather, with March right around the corner it will be time to get in the garden and do some clean up and pruning. I'm in zone 7 in WNC, is this coming week going to be the time to put down pre emergent with temps possibly getting into the low 60s?

Reactions: SD
I for one am ready for some sunshine and dry weather, with March right around the corner it will be time to get in the garden and do some clean up and pruning. I'm in zone 7 in WNC, is this coming week going to be the time to put down pre emergent with temps possibly getting into the low 60s?
Yeah I'd get it down right before the next .33+ rain. It's better to get it down too early vs too late

Send me one of those spruce
They don’t like the heat. They really don’t do well in zones 7/8. People love Dwarf Alberta spruce and blue spruce, but they languish in the heat and humidity and eventually die. Get a Arizona Cypress ‘blue sapphire’ or blue ice

They don’t like the heat. They really don’t do well in zones 7/8. People love Dwarf Alberta spruce and blue spruce, but they languish in the heat and humidity and eventually die. Get a Arizona Cypress ‘blue sapphire’ or blue ice
I have 2 they are going nuts and outgrowing the Leylands

Plant some palms !
I planted 2 at the same time 2 years ago, one died in the fall, with a west facing which makes sense with the pm sun.
I thought it was the neighbors dog pissing on it.
I've been looking for the dwarf English boxwood, but having a hard time. HD and Lowes will get them in from time to time, but I believe they are getting replaced by other varieties.

I planted 2 at the same time 2 years ago, one died in the fall, with a west facing which makes sense with the pm sun.
I thought it was the neighbors dog pissing on it.
I've been looking for the dwarf English boxwood, but having a hard time. HD and Lowes will get them in from time to time, but I believe they are getting replaced by other varieties.
What kind of palms did you have ? You live in the foothills don’t you?

For all garden lovers visit the JC raulston arboretum in Raleigh ! I may make a trip if they are open on Sunday ! Real cool place !

What kind of palms did you have ? You live in the foothills don’t you?

For all garden lovers visit the JC raulston arboretum in Raleigh ! I may make a trip if they are open on Sunday ! Real cool place !
I don't grow palms, I was commenting on the Alberta spruce. I've been to the one in Asheville which is really nice. And of course Biltmore has a ton of tropicals.

Reactions: SD
Back