• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc 12/31/16 - 01/03/17 Heavy Rain Event? Some Sleet

DadOfJax

Reaction score
Looks like we have a chance to put a major dent in the current drought situation in Alabama. We are still 18" below average. What are your thoughts?

Re: 12/31/16 - 01/03/17 Heavy Rain Event?

DadOfJax link said:
Looks like we have a chance to put a major dent in the current drought situation in Alabama. We are still 18" below average. What are your thoughts?
Really hope this holds off until after the fireworks on the 31st...but I do not like my chances based on model output

Thankfully we got some decent rain in north Georgia last night but I'll take as much as I can get. Instability looks to be pretty low though.

It would be nice.  I expected more from December but it didn't really pan out

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Definitely looks like a wet week ahead to start 2017 for a lot of the drought areas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like the heaviest axis of rainfall has shifted down to the coast per the latest model runs. Appears central and northern portions of Alabama won't benefit nearly as much. So many privately owned lakes/ponds will not make it back to full pool this winter, which, depending on your use of said body of water, could set up another major water shortage next summer/fall. We narrowly missed a major catastrophe with this past years drought, and we wont be able to sustain through another one (cattle/hay/etc. speaking).

Yep looks like we might have our first case of gulf Coast convection cutting off moist inflow

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Some local mets. saying this may start out as sleet in some areas.

Looks like the 18z GFS is showing a lot more Gulf Coast Convection cutoff. Which DadofJax and SD said early.

I should have said the 1st wave

Thundersnow89 link said:
Some local mets. saying this may start out as sleet in some areas.
There may be a possibility for winter precipitation. The mid levels appeared to be within a degree of freezing all the way down to 925mb on some runs of the NAM for a frame. However, sleet seems a bit strange since there doesn't appear to be a warm nose. May just be all rain, or a brief window of some flakes from what I can tell, but I may be way off.

However, in the latest runs, sleet seems a bit more likely.

Ive seen sleet in the mid 40s before, not out of the question by any means.  Not sure how dew points and all look, but good luck seeing something Wintry on the front end!

The dew points are in the single digits to low teens in Alabama right now all the way to the coast.

sigwx link said:
The dew points are in the single digits to low teens in Alabama right now all the way to the coast.
Based off the models overall, they will stay below freezing until about an hour or two after the precipitation arrives.

Looking like their maybe some severe weather involved early in the week. Fairly  impressive cape values showing up.

Loving the fact we are going too get some good rains.

Back