• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Winter 2018-19 Discussion

Lol worried about the NAO ??? We haven’t seen that b$$$$ in years and we’ve done well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not worried, hopeful. The -NAO to me is the difference between a year where we do ok (like the last few years) and a great one. Especially with a nino, this would be the opportunity for greatness. But yeah, if not, we can still have a decent winter.

Not worried, hopeful. The -NAO to me is the difference between a year where do ok (like the last few years) and a great one. Especially with a nino, this would be the opportunity for greatness. But yeah, if not, we can still have a decent winter.
FWIW and IMHO ... Overall the AO is more important for the south as a whole ...

C0FE22D0-2B20-4398-9315-99FDE2B335DF.png Models have it colder her than Calgary, Alberta at 216. Consider that a win until the GFS flips to red anomolies at 06z...

Grit posted this over on the other board View attachment 7193

That isn't nearly as cold as the ones issued 2 and 3 months ago, which had -20 to -40 anomalies for most active posters and Phil near -15 (I can't find last month's):
Sep release: http://southernwx.com/community/threads/winter-2018-19-discussion.410/page-9#post-105502
August release: http://southernwx.com/community/threads/winter-2018-19-discussion.410/page-2#post-103582

This newest one is -5 to -18 for most with Phil near 0/neutral. So, well under half the degree of cold anomalies for most vs the August and September runs. This isn't the trend in the model that I'd want to see if I wanted the best shot at a cold winter. It appears that the
-NAO suggested by those two real cold ones is gone/neutral on this new one.

Not to sound dumb. I’ve got an idea of what that shows but what exactly does that show?

Positive PNA (big ridge on west coast) and trough on the east is indicative to a storm track on the east coast. Lots of nor’easters. Can’t really read into it too much as it’s a 3mo mean, I’d venture to guess a lot of that has to do with February being insane but I have yet to see the individual monthly mean images.

Positive PNA (big ridge on west coast) and trough on the east is indicative to a storm track on the east coast. Lots of nor’easters. Can’t really read into it too much as it’s a 3mo mean, I’d venture to guess a lot of that has to do with February being insane but I have yet to see the individual monthly mean images.

37c1d759caee00c39c5e8cc50c196d16.jpg
b0b1d9ce1b7ae5944124f5c81e95bf00.jpg
bcfbb339b23e0124bf44317097ad0aaa.jpg

Biting the tongue ... :(

Phil,
Good self control, my friend. Well at least neutral would be much better than warm, right? Hogtown would still have some strong cold at times. And don't forget that even a record warm winter is so much more tolerable than a record cool summer. But no, I didn't like this run especially due to the less cold trend.

That isn't nearly as cold as the ones issued 2 and 3 months ago, which had -20 to -40 anomalies for most active posters and Phil near -15 (I can't find last month's):
Sep release: http://southernwx.com/community/threads/winter-2018-19-discussion.410/page-9#post-105502
August release: http://southernwx.com/community/threads/winter-2018-19-discussion.410/page-2#post-103582

This newest one is -5 to -18 for most with Phil near 0/neutral. So, well under half the degree of cold anomalies for most vs the August and September runs. This isn't the trend in the model that I'd want to see if I wanted the best shot at a cold winter. It appears that the
-NAO suggested by those two real cold ones is gone/neutral on this new one.

This Euro seasonal went in the opposite direction of JB’s updated winter forecast from last week. Surprise surprise...

This Euro seasonal went in the opposite direction of JB’s updated winter forecast from last week. Surprise surprise...

The best call for this year temp wise imo around here is to go for normal or maybe 1 or 2F below average in DJF, Joe Bastardi's cold bias is probably going to come to fruition, as usual. Maybe he should slosh the bathtub a little more :)

The best call for this year temp wise imo around here is to go for normal or maybe 1 or 2F below average in DJF, Joe Bastardi's cold bias is probably going to come to fruition, as usual. Maybe he should slosh the bathtub a little more :)

Or maybe he should just stop altogether

These seasonal models tend to shift around quite a bit. I'm actually surprised it still has blue over the SE. There really isn't a lot of reason to expect wall to wall frigid temps during the winter, ever, really. What we are likely to end up with is one to two week periods of cold, followed by moderation, followed by cooling, etc., with a general tendency toward colder as winter matures. Given that this occurs concurrently with what looks to be the fairly likely scenario of an active STJ, at least normal snowfall seems very attainable. The good news is that there are no indications of a blowtorch winter. Colder and wetter than average seems to capture the greatest slice of the probability pie this year. That really is a good thing. If I were to just look at the extremes of either very cold or very warm and asked to circle the outcome that had the greater chance to verify this year, it would, without a doubt, be the colder scenario. I am happy about how things are progressing.

These seasonal models tend to shift around quite a bit. I'm actually surprised it still has blue over the SE. There really isn't a lot of reason to expect wall to wall frigid temps during the winter, ever, really. What we are likely to end up with is one to two week periods of cold, followed by moderation, followed by cooling, etc., with a general tendency toward colder as winter matures. Given that this occurs concurrently with what looks to be the fairly likely scenario of an active STJ, at least normal snowfall seems very attainable. The good news is that there are no indications of a blowtorch winter. Colder and wetter than average seems to capture the greatest slice of the probability pie this year. That really is a good thing. If I were to just look at the extremes of either very cold or very warm and asked to circle the outcome that had the greater chance to verify this year, it would, without a doubt, be the colder scenario. I am happy about how things are progressing.

RC,
Per this run, you and your neighbors are in about the best seat in the SE arena anomalywise.

I think shots of cold, followed by moderation, and repeat, with no real long stretches of above normal temps is the best we can ask for. I actually don't like long stretches of frigid temps anyway. We rarely get anything out of that but cold and dry. Up and down from cold to normal is really the best way to get chances of winter storms here.

Back