• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Winter 2018-19 Discussion

Other than Judah Cohen being wrong the last few winters with his largely Oct Siberian snowcover based winter AO forecasts as well most here never wanting a mild winter, can anyone think of any other reason his mild winter 2018-9 forecast is being tossed other than a cold Pioneer model forecast? Keep in mind El Nino is looking a good bit stronger vs how the weak that was earlier favored by many. (OHC is over +1.60 now and still rising.) Even a strong El Nino can no longer be dismissed as a reasonable possibility. And don't forget we've been in a warming world.
I’ll still take our chances with a strong Niño, we can score a good ice event or two, than that dumpster fire Nina we had last winter! Just the sheer amount of clouds and precip from the STJ, should argue for some BN months at some point this winter or right around normal, even without a lot of frigid cold getting down here!

Other than Judah Cohen being wrong the last few winters with his largely Oct Siberian snowcover based winter AO forecasts as well most here never wanting a mild winter, can anyone think of any other reason his mild winter 2018-9 forecast is being tossed other than a cold Pioneer model forecast? Keep in mind El Nino is looking a good bit stronger vs how the weak that was earlier favored by many. (OHC is over +1.60 now and still rising.) Even a strong El Nino can no longer be dismissed as a reasonable possibility. And don't forget we've been in a warming world.

So far October is behaving closer to the cold winter nino analogs than the warm ones. The cold ones had further east based Aleutian low and when October ends I think it will be really close to the composite of the cold nino analogs. I didn't differentiate in nino strength though, but didn't include the super nino's. I would bet the central pac nino's are cold too.

Oct2018.gif

warmninos.png

coldNinos.png

87 had a nice gradient for snowfall. Wake in the 5-10” range and 30 miles west is the 20-30” range. Was in GSO at the time and I swear we didn’t go to school for a month, think we had 30”.

Though I wouldn’t complain about a 87 repeat for Raleigh, 5-10” would be great.

View attachment 7062
From experience, im personally not the biggest fan of the MRCC maps for anything more than getting a very basic firsthand look at the regional, multi-state snow behavior because they’re excessively smoothed and a lot of the data that’s put into them hasn’t been quality controlled. More than half of Wake Co was actually well over 10” that winter, one event in mid February dropped 8” of sleet on northern Wake by itself and there was an extremely huge drop off to about 2” once you got to Smithfield. The amounts and their distribution aren’t all that dissimilar from 1930-31 although I think 1930-31 has the upper hand for total statewide snowfall

View attachment 7065 WTF?? He’d still be calling for rain, if temps were in the teens! SMDH

where did this new disdain for Panovich come from? He nailed Michael for CLT, he doesn't put out hype, he's probably the best met in Charlotte. What has he said that was so wrong that you make nonsensical statements like this? Genuinely curious...

where did this new disdain for Panovich come from? He nailed Michael for CLT, he doesn't put out hype, he's probably the best met in Charlotte. What has he said that was so wrong that you make nonsensical statements like this? Genuinely curious...
Because he isn't a weenie and doesn't call for biblical snowfall everytime the models show a fantasy snowstorm.

We don’t have enough time imo to get a strong El Niño at least this year anyway (if we somehow did it would take several weeks for the atmosphere to catch up and by then may be too little too late) and while I wouldn’t discount his forecast entirely it looks very similar to a pure AO/NAO correlation and what the US temps look like after December in strong Niños with a formidable polar vortex. Interannual variability seems to suggest even if the vortex becomes strong, given the prominence of North Pacific/Alaska blocking we may be cold again anyway in spite of it especially as we get into February (as you would normally expect in an El Niño). I personally would forecast 1-2F below average temps in the SE US given all of the above, warming background climate, and a heightened threat of one out of the next 4-5 months (most likely December if anything) being very warm. Every winter the last 3 years has had at least one month that was close to or record breaking warm on or between December and March. I think our chances of ending that streak are decent this year but this should be lurking in the back of everyone’s mind.

He sucks at forecasting snow,and never says it will snow, until it’s falling, others can verify.
Also, 2-3 days before Michael made landfall, he said the effects of Michael would be very little in the CLT area,wind or rain. That was obviously wrong too

He sucks at forecasting snow,and never says it will snow, until it’s falling, others can verify.
Also, 2-3 days before Michael made landfall, he said the effects of Michael would be very little in the CLT area,wind or rain. That was obviously wrong too

gusts to 40mph and 2.5" of rain was what verified for Charlotte concerning Michael. I don't think Brad was the one that was wrong.

gusts to 40mph and 2.5" of rain was what verified for Charlotte concerning Michael. I don't think Brad was the one that was wrong.
He said minimal impacts from wind or rain. All the trees down and 10’s of thousands around CLT, who lost power,would disagree with his “ minimal impacts”!

We don’t have enough time imo to get a strong El Niño at least this year anyway (if we somehow did it would take several weeks for the atmosphere to catch up and by then may be too little too late) and while I wouldn’t discount his forecast entirely it looks very similar to a pure AO/NAO correlation and what the US temps look like after December in strong Niños with a formidable polar vortex. Interannual variability seems to suggest even if the vortex becomes strong, given the prominence of North Pacific/Alaska blocking we may be cold again anyway in spite of it especially as we get into February (as you would normally expect in an El Niño). I personally would forecast 1-2F below average temps in the SE US given all of the above, warming background climate, and a heightened threat of one out of the next 4-5 months (most likely December if anything) being very warm. Every winter the last 3 years has had at least one month that was close to or record breaking warm on or between December and March. I think our chances of ending that streak are decent this year but this should be lurking in the back of everyone’s mind.
Im glad I'm not the only person at least concerned about December being warm

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Im glad I'm not the only person at least concerned about December being warm

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Would not be surprising. Seems like there is a trend towards December's being very warm.Even last winter with the huge snowstorm, ATL still ended up above normal for temps in December. I just hope it's not warmer than Dec 2015 when ATL was 12 degrees above normal.

He easily dismisses the model out-puts even within 24 hours. It has become his trademark. His snowfall estimates always fall way short and then he plays catch-up on every storm. I would rather watch Eric Thomas any day of the week.

interesting... official gust in CLT was 46mph. and many in suburbs had 50+.... Brad said on twitter 30-35 max... Doesn't realy seem too accurate to me, but then again maybe you consider 20mph off as accurate? then if so yeah he nailed it.

I cant find an "official" output from good old brad but I have this tweet screenshot. abt 24 hrs from start of event. He clearly completely ignores all trends and goes with who knows what honestly.
IMG_7269.jpg

You have those that way over-hype storms. And you have those that always under-hype storms. Brad is and has been proven to be a chronic under-hyper.

Last edited:
I can tell the difference between food actually cooked vs straight out of the can and into the microwave

As Eric pointed out, the Charlotte area can be and is often near or on the rain/snow/mix line during winter events. It can basically come down to what neighborhood are you in. Basically the rule is if you are in the northern suburbs up to Statesville you will receive more snow, the more south you are the more likely it is you will receive only a mix or even just rain.
Ok thanks for the info.

Not sure if this comment goes here or in the October Oscitance thread, but the weather for the last few days has been more typical of El Nino winter for this area. Coastal lows, stalled cold air masses, making for cool rainy days. Except that it's not as cool as it would be if this were December or January with this pattern set up. Hopefully we'll get more of that kind of weather for this area in the heart of winter.

Interesting to see Aug/Sep with solidly -SOI but looks like Oct will finish positive. Quickly glancing, looks like 86 was the only nino past 40 years that was similar. Would be nice path to follow.

Back