• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Major Hurricane Michael

Last dropsonde is 936 mb w/ 24 KT wind (10 kt of wind for every mb is usually a good rule of thumb here).
Thus, the minimum surface pressure is now down to about 934 hPa, Michael continues to intensify rather quickly.

recon_AF306-1314A-MICHAEL_dropsonde14_20181010-1050 (1).png

It's not mentioned much, but HWRF-P does show Michael with a pressure of 926mb as it's about to make landfall in the FL panhandle.
EDIT: This is the 00z run last night.
hwrf-p_mslp_wind_14L_7.png
Thank you.....I will be watching it for the next one. :cool:

The Euro may not be overdone with wind gusts for NC. The 3km NAM handled the wind gusts very well for my area in Florence and other storms I’ve tracked. Here’s what it shows for Raleigh due to some baroclinic enhancement on the backside of the storm. This has been trending stronger btw.
View attachment 6890
Sort of what happened with Hazel north of NC, baroclinic enhancement kept it powerful all the way into Canada.... not expecting that but I think the NAM maybe on to something. I fully expect I'll see stronger winds here then I ever did with Florence.

Btw my sister is hunkered down..... sadly an animal shelter she volunteers for is located near Panama City Beach, sad

Sort of what happened with Hazel north of NC, baroclinic enhancement kept it powerful all the way into Canada.... not expecting that but I think the NAM maybe on to something. I fully expect I'll see stronger winds here then I ever did with Florence.

Btw my sister is hunkered down..... sadly an animal shelter she volunteers for is located near Panama City Beach, sad

I have to agree here, this isn't like Florence in the sense that there won't be any support to maintain the storm at least a little as it comes inland, trough interactions often broaden the wind field but it could still easily carry tropical storm force winds, thus I'm scratching my head why tropical storm watches/warnings haven't been hoisted already further inland across central NC.

Hearing that it’s taken a slight jog west (can anyone confirm?), if so this is definitely a worst case scenario unfolding for Panama City.

Hearing that it’s taken a slight jog west (can anyone confirm?), if so this is definitely a worst case scenario unfolding for Panama City.
If anything a slight east of due north movement but if you smooth out the wobbles still basically looks due north.....

Yeah sadly as Florida Governor said anyone directly on coast probably has no more time to safely evacuate I hope people are heeding advice and taking shelter inland away from their beach front condos such

Back