• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Storm Preparation (just in case)

Ghost

Reaction score
If this is in the wrong thread, I apologize, please delete if needed. I have a question or maybe several. I am in West Columbia, SC looks like at this time we could be in the path. Trying to plan now instead of waiting. It never hurts to have extra batteries, bottled water, etc. Is there a thread or could there be a thread where members post things they really use in a storm, in addition to the basics that the NHC puts out. For those that have been in extended weather events what are things you wished you had but didn't? If without power and only have a grill or camp stove, what are good foods to prepare with possible limited water, etc. Was not in Columbia when Hugo came through but am told schools closed for a week, without power for 2-3 weeks even here in midlands. Thanks for all the info. I read info here a lot, post very seldom.

Last edited:
If this is in the wrong thread, I apologize, please delete if needed. I have a question or maybe several. I am in West Columbia, SC looks like at this time we could be in the path. Trying to plan now instead of waiting. It never hurts to have extra batteries, bottled water, etc. Is there a thread or could there be a thread where members post things they really use in a storm, in addition to the basics that the NHC puts out. For those that have been in extended weather events what are things you wished you had but didn't? If without power and only have a grill or camp stove, what are good foods to prepare with possible limited water, etc. Was not in Columbia when Hugo came through but am told schools closed for a week, without power for 2-3 weeks even here in midlands. Thanks for all the info. I read post a lot, post very seldom.
Plenty of propane; a camp stove (plan to cook outside on the porch after the storm danger is gone); plenty of water - including water to wash cooking dishes with; canned foods like soup; staples like those pre-made taco dinners, pasta, canned chicken ...; paper plates and plastic spoons and forks (don't need washing); toilet paper - you may not get to the store for a week or more; a couple of battery operated room fans; plenty of batteries and some flashlights and and battery operated lanterns (camping lanterns make an un-A/C'd house miserable); meds (if you have scripts you need to take); keep your phone and tablet completely charged until power actually goes out; if you can get it, dry ice to put in your freezer and fridge; lots of coolers with ice (get the ice as late as you can so you can keep milk cold (and beer!))
One other thing - the house gets sticky after 3 or 4 days - we always turn the AC as low as it will go and get the inside temp down as low as possible, and as much humidity out as we can, beforehand. 4 days later you'll be glad (and don't keep doors open after power goes out!(.

Last edited:
If this is in the wrong thread, I apologize, please delete if needed. I have a question or maybe several. I am in West Columbia, SC looks like at this time we could be in the path. Trying to plan now instead of waiting. It never hurts to have extra batteries, bottled water, etc. Is there a thread or could there be a thread where members post things they really use in a storm, in addition to the basics that the NHC puts out. For those that have been in extended weather events what are things you wished you had but didn't? If without power and only have a grill or camp stove, what are good foods to prepare with possible limited water, etc. Was not in Columbia when Hugo came through but am told schools closed for a week, without power for 2-3 weeks even here in midlands. Thanks for all the info. I read info here a lot, post very seldom.
Is purchasing a portable generator an option? I'm in southeast Palm Beach County, Florida, and they are pretty standard among homeowners around here. In the 2004, the summer my son was born, we got hit by one storm after another and lost power for weeks at a time. It was great to be able to run the fridge, microwave, a box fan, etc.

Is purchasing a portable generator an option? I'm in southeast Palm Beach County, Florida, and they are pretty standard among homeowners around here. In the 2004, the summer my son was born, we got hit by one storm after another and lost power for weeks at a time. It was great to be able to run the fridge, microwave, a box fan, etc.
That is definitely a good option, but you have to run them outside. I don't have a generator, but I do have a very large battery that has power outlets on it, and can be hooked up to a solar panel that it came with. Probably a good investment for ice storms up here, but for coastal areas, a generator is best.

Plenty of propane; a camp stove (plan to cook outside on the porch after the storm danger is gone); plenty of water - including water to wash cooking dishes with; canned foods like soup; staples like those pre-made taco dinners, pasta, canned chicken ...; paper plates and plastic spoons and forks (don't need washing); toilet paper - you may not get to the store for a week or more; a couple of battery operated room fans; plenty of batteries and some flashlights and and battery operated lanterns (camping lanterns make an un-A/C'd house miserable); meds (if you have scripts you need to take); keep your phone and tablet completely charged until power actually goes out; if you can get it, dry ice to put in your freezer and fridge; lots of coolers with ice (get the ice as late as you can so you can keep milk cold (and beer!))

You could buy some Mountain House freeze dried products. You have to boil water and pour it in the pouch and its ready to eat.. Walmart or Academy Sports probably others in your area sell them. Water, plenty of bottled water. You can always buy a filter like LifeStraw. Hygiene products maybe a first aid kit.

The question was posed in the Irma thread about suggestions of items to have during a possible impact from a hurricane, great question and I feel there would be others wanting to know and obviously many that could contribute. To keep that conversation out of the Irma thread post all comments, suggestions here and maybe FS, Storm, Shawn or Shane can move those other post here.

I'm trying to get my family to help plan an evacuation somewhere. I'm thinking either West Virginia, Kentucky or Tennessee.

Yeah if one of these east coast runner tracks comes to fruition planning is going to be a nightmare.... gonna have to be west or northwest and *could* be massive numbers of people IF

I'm trying to get my family to help plan an evacuation somewhere. I'm thinking either West Virginia, Kentucky or Tennessee.
If your location is North Charlotte, NC, I think you will be perfectly fine. Just watch the forecasts and if it looks like it is headed your way, get some stuff for a day or two without power at the worst.

If your location is North Charlotte, NC, I think you will be perfectly fine. Just watch the forecasts and if it looks like it is headed your way, get some stuff for a day or two without power at the worst.
You are probably right but just a little tidbit below about what Hugo (not that I'm implying this will be like Hugo) but look what he did to Charlotte, not trying to scare anyone but again just in case.
The storm reached Charlotte at 3 AM,[24] only six hours after landfall, not having slowed down when reaching land. By this time, it was still a fairly strong tropical storm with sustained winds of 54 mph (87 km/h) and gusts of 87 mph (140 km/h).[25] This was enough to topple trees across roads and houses, leaving many without power, closing schools for as long as two weeks, and spawning several tornadoes. Charlotte is roughly 150 miles (240 km) inland, and many coastal residents from both Carolinas went there to wait out the storm.

By 7:00 am, it was still strong enough to cause heavy rain and tear down hundreds of trees in Conover.[26]

Damages in that state alone estimated at $1 billion (1989 USD, $1.93 billion 2017 USD).

Thanks for all the info. We already have a generator. Trouble is we had to go to 5 gas stations in West Columbia last night to find gas. Finally found some, Filled up 2 containers. At least we can use generator to charge phones, flashlight, and emergency radio if needed. Wal Mart was still with out gas this morning when I went to get bottled water and propane for our camp stove. I do worry that if track stays as it looks now, finding gas might be an issue due to amount of people evacuating

You are probably right but just a little tidbit below about what Hugo (not that I'm implying this will be like Hugo) but look what he did to Charlotte, not trying to scare anyone but again just in case.
The storm reached Charlotte at 3 AM,[24] only six hours after landfall, not having slowed down when reaching land. By this time, it was still a fairly strong tropical storm with sustained winds of 54 mph (87 km/h) and gusts of 87 mph (140 km/h).[25] This was enough to topple trees across roads and houses, leaving many without power, closing schools for as long as two weeks, and spawning several tornadoes. Charlotte is roughly 150 miles (240 km) inland, and many coastal residents from both Carolinas went there to wait out the storm.

By 7:00 am, it was still strong enough to cause heavy rain and tear down hundreds of trees in Conover.[26]

Damages in that state alone estimated at $1 billion (1989 USD, $1.93 billion 2017 USD).
Something like that is what I am fearing for anywhere in the southeast if this thing hits as a huge 4. Hugo was tiny compared to what Irma could become. If we get an angled landfall, I think that anywhere within 300 miles of the coast could see tropical storm force winds as it moves inland.

Okay I'm a bit more calmer now, I think going multiple states away would be a bit unnecessary. But I think the Mountains of N.C/East TN would be a good spot to go to.

We were without power for 5 to 10 days in North AL following the April 27 tornadoes. Some items needed (in addition to those already mentioned):

Cash - ATMs and debit/credit card readers will not work.
Outdoor solar lights - leave them outside during the day and you have light at night.
Garden hose uncoiled with nozzle valve closed and filled with water- this will heat water during the day for cleaning.
Battery powered cell phone chargers.
Portable radio with hand crank and/or plenty of batteries.
Plastic containers for batteries, documents, etc.
Fill bathtub with water for cleaning/flushing.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info. We already have a generator. Trouble is we had to go to 5 gas stations in West Columbia last night to find gas. Finally found some, Filled up 2 containers. At least we can use generator to charge phones, flashlight, and emergency radio if needed. Wal Mart was still with out gas this morning when I went to get bottled water and propane for our camp stove. I do worry that if track stays as it looks now, finding gas might be an issue due to amount of people evacuating
A charcoal grill might be another thought! We had one during Hugo and we were without power for 9 days, and you'd be surprised at the thing you can cook on a grill over charcoal. Get a few bags of charcoal, maybe everybody won't think about that? Maybe make sure you have some firewood, after Hugo , we had several cool rainy days ( highs in the 50s)! Sucks to hear there are gas shortages around Columbia, cause we are heading back to GSP tomorrow from Florida

Not so much for me here, but getting concerned for those in FLA Penn. The combination of "massive" self evacuations (aka Floyd) coupled with gas shortages from Harvey may lead to many being stranded on/along interstates.

Suggestions from the National Hurricane Center:

Basic Disaster Supplies Kit
To assemble your kit, store items in airtight plastic bags and put your entire disaster supplies kit in one or two easy-to-carry containers such as plastic bins or a duffel bag.

A basic emergency supply kit could include the following recommended items:

• Water - one gallon of water per person per day for at least three days, for drinking and sanitation
  • Food - at least a three-day supply of non-perishable food
  • Battery-powered or hand crank radio and a NOAA Weather Radio with tone alert
  • Flashlight
  • First aid kit
  • Extra batteries
  • Whistle to signal for help
  • Dust mask to help filter contaminated air and plastic sheeting and duct tape to shelter-in-place
  • Moist towelettes, garbage bags and plastic ties for personal sanitation
  • Wrench or pliers to turn off utilities
  • Manual can opener for food
  • Local maps
  • Cell phone with chargers and a backup battery
Download the Recommended Supplies List (PDF)

Additional Emergency Supplies
Consider adding the following items to your emergency supply kit based on your individual needs:

• Prescription medications
  • Non-prescription medications such as pain relievers, anti-diarrhea medication, antacids or laxatives
  • Glasses and contact lense solution
  • Infant formula, bottles, diapers, wipes, diaper rash cream
  • Pet food and extra water for your pet
  • Cash or traveler's checks
  • Important family documents such as copies of insurance policies, identification and bank account records saved electronically or in a waterproof, portable container
  • Sleeping bag or warm blanket for each person
  • Complete change of clothing appropriate for your climate and sturdy shoes
  • Household chlorine bleach and medicine dropper to disinfect water
  • Fire extinguisher
  • Matches in a waterproof container
  • Feminine supplies and personal hygiene items
  • Mess kits, paper cups, plates, paper towels and plastic utensils
  • Paper and pencil
  • Books, games, puzzles or other activities for children

Mandatory evacuations for Fl keys!

Back