• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Site News Southernwx Site News

Storm5

Administrator
Reaction score
A little over 4 weeks ago we launched southernwx.com. The response was enormous growing to almost 500 members in just 3 weeks time. With the rapid growth came a huge problem, the site crashed two days before a major weather event due to the large traffic we had. Horrible timing lol. Thanks to Shawn and his hard work we were up and running by the next morning. At the time, we lost all member accounts. However , we had over 400 members sign back up within a 36 hour period. For that we say thanks for sticking with us and as I write this we are knocking on the 700 member door, wow. The issue was, we were on a shared server with over 1000 other websites. We have corrected the issue and are now on a dedicated server.  With that comes the freedom to do whatever we want with the site.

Most of us have been on weather boards for years. Weather boards are nice to chat about weather evets and with other weather enthusiasts. Truth be told, weather boards are boring. With that in mind , we started southernwx.com with the idea to make it educational and interactive . We have some amazing ideas for the site, some of which are still being worked on. But tonight we are ready to announces some of the new things moving forward.

1) the blog, SD has spearheaded the blog movement and is doing a great job. Some of you have made some great suggestions regarding the blog and those ideas are being worked on. Over the coming weeks you will see the blog change in appearance and design. We are very excited to have Larry ( GaWx ) posting on the blog as well. He is like a human weather encyclopedia and his posts will be very educational.  We will be looking for more members to contribute to the blog as we move forward.

2) Educational - we want this site to be a place for all to learn regardless of career or education . With that in mind , starting next week we will launch our first skype interview that will be linked to the site and our YouTube channel. We will be interviewing meteorologists,  researchers, weather personalities and more from around the country on a biweekly schedule. During those interviews, we will discuss specific weather topics with our guests.  We have some HUGE interviews already sheduled over the next three weeks . This is going to be an amazing addition to the site . 

3) Interactive- As mentioned before, we want this to be an interactive site with our members. Starting a week from Thursday we will have our first live weather show where we talk with you the members about anything and everything weather related. The shows will be live on FB and Periscope. This Will be a unique way for us all to interact.

4) Forecasts- We are also rolling out zone forecasts for the southeast . This will be yet another area when members can participate and be responsible for a zone forecast. If you are interested in participating in this please message someone on the admin team.

5) We will also have certain members doing live Q and As in the evening as bigger weather events approach and as 00z models roll in. This will not be something we do all the time , but from time to time .

As the site grows we are looking into adding models to the site. If you are a programmer or Web developer and would like to be part of this please message us.

We are currently working on many more exciting things for the site and will hopefully be able to announce those in the coming weeks. This site was designed for the members, if you have any ideas or suggestions please message someone on the administrative team.

Thanks again for the tremendous support over the last month. We look forward to growing the site with you and making it an amazing resource.

Dont forget to follow us on Facebook and Twitter 

@southern_wx -Twitter
southernwx- Facebook

Southernwx Admin Team

ForsythSnow said:
Absolutely love where this site is headed! Can't wait for all this! Great work so far! :)
This is awesome guys! Thank you so much for doing this for all us weather enthusiasts!

Storm5 said:
As the site grows we are looking into adding models to the site. If you are a programmer or Web developer and would like to be part of this please message us.
23973poster.jpg

Thanks so much for this site guys! In the winter it is an addiction for me to follow the models and then catch up on all the posts when a winter storm is on the horizon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah the models are doable, but they will be quite a bit down the line guys. :)

We have server resources, but not quite enough to provide that kind of data! lol

Shawn said:
We have server resources, but not quite enough to provide that kind of data! lol
As long as you get the DGEX , we're golden! Nice site guys, keep up the good work! Let me know when the Brick interview is happening, he's my favorite Met! :)

:) I am really excited about the new fun and informative things coming to the site. Where do we make donations to help support the website?

Hi everyone. I hope you guys are excited about the upcoming additions. The interviews will be awesome! I'm going to add more info to the blog through the weekend and I am open to all suggestions. I will also start throwing out some of our forecasts soon! Exciting times ahead for us here. Thank you all for being members and supporting our community

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Tarheel1 said:
Shawn said:
As long as you get the DGEX , we're golden! Nice site guys, keep up the good work! Let me know when the Brick interview is happening, he's my favorite Met! :)
Sadly I kinda want brick live for a model run. That would be epic

Winter Storm said:
:) I am really excited about the new fun and informative things coming to the site. Where do we make donations to help support the website?
thank you for being willing to help support the community. Right now we have no plans to ask for donations. We want this site to be 100 percent for the members. Thank you so much for the offer. If you have any suggestions or things you would like to see added to the site please let us know

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

SD said:
Tarheel1 said:
Shawn said:
Sadly I kinda want brick live for a model run. That would be epic

This Will 100 percent happen during the next winter weather threat . That's his area of expertise

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I'm available for a weather personality interview but I do charge a standard rate fee that would be in line with someone like Joe Bastardi.

I do accept Bojangles credit.

There will always be more hiccups with the server and whatever. If we can be more proactive in the social media, particularly Facebook, the discussion should keep going in the comments there, when we are down, similar to DT, with Weather Risk on FB. Maybe offer a discount or free trial with any models or package in exchange for likes on social media. Maybe a special medal or emblem next to the profile would work in the short term to grow the audience abroad.

I would love to rob these social media fan boy pages of their audiences that charge subscription fees with no MET degree whatsoever. This site has the potential to do that once the business portfolio expands in diversity.

Also during storm mode times the signature lines of all the mods/administrators could easily give some redundancy to the social media links...I'm sure some of the hidden guests will give it a like.

Wow, the admins have put a lot of thought into this! I'm especially looking forward to hearing some of the interviews with the pro mets.

Regarding the blog, thanks for the mention and the kind words. I plan to add more interesting things as time goes along. Kudos to Shane for the blog!

Some of the interviews already lined up are border-line ridiculous. Wish Storm would have dropped a hint, but it's not a good idea until they have been done in case of changes.

Back