• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Site Suggestions

Not quite sure the software would allow a saved session like that. I recommend opening multiple pages in new windows/tabs for now until I can look into it more.

The board would crash.

When an event is imminent, we enable live mode on a thread for our members who are logged in. If you are talking about a live feed on the home page, we tried that with our old forum system and people thought it was a bit cluttered. We can revisit this option in the future.

Our Wiki is in the works and will handle a lot of this.

Our Google member map has now been created and linked into the navigation at the top of the site.

The chat room idea isn't bad. Right now, we are fiddling around with things and we will visit that idea eventually. We are worried that discussion in the chat box will start to dominate the discussion and we want people to post in threads to be able to refer back to years from now.

I can add custom fields to the member profiles that would link to the map. Each person would have to put their own custom link in and it may become confusing. The main member map is now linked in the navigation area of the forum to help people get a general idea.

Some of this is just lazy administration. :) Anyways, threads usually show in bold when there are new, unread posts. Sometimes it's easy to overlook. I'll think of some ideas to possibly make it more apparent there is a new thread. Other sites have used banter type threads for sports talk in the past, and many of our members are likely used to that format. Maybe a rearrangement of the forum categories, or a trim down, may be in order soon.

Yes, threads should be unpinned when they are no longer relevant. Also, we have some threads spread across multiple sub forums that don't belong. We'll see if we can start getting it cleaned up.

This would be a system change on the forum software. While totally possible, we likely will look into keeping this less cluttered and fresh looking instead of going the programming route for now. Some of your idea can be implemented with stylesheets and I'll look into it if the previous solution isn't working.

The store is horrible. We will no longer be using a store hosted on our website. Soon, the actual store on an off-site secure area will be used. Hang tight guys.

That may be a big change that many wouldn't like. I understand where you're coming from though and we'll talk about doing this or changing something about it in the future.

Utilize chat as a "special event" to draw more folks. Open it only during storm modes and have the chat save the log for publishing in the wiki! That'd be pretty hot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Utilize chat as a "special event" to draw more folks. Open it only during storm modes and have the chat save the log for publishing in the wiki! That'd be pretty hot!

I agree with the chat idea . Open the day before or day of that way the thread material stays leading up to the event . Publishing the chat in wiki is a great idea as well . We will continue to work on this and hopefully can announce something soon

So - are the "Models" and the tropical models inside "Tropical Weather" on the Wiki link OK?

Everyone that has been helping with the wiki page we owe you all a round of drinks . We need to figure out a way to make that happen

Everyone that has been helping with the wiki page we owe you all a round of drinks . We need to figure out a way to make that happen

I know some good bars around the SE where adult beverages are absolutely mandatory ... LOL

Damn Russians ...

Post your images here
Get permanent links for Facebook, Twitter, message boards and blogs
Site currently read-only due to urgent database maintenance.
S19 and S26 accounts are temporarily offline. No data loss whatsoever is known at this time to have occurred.

By the way folks if you are using definitions or explanations from other resources and not your own words we ask that you give credit so that we don't get in trouble. I ran into that earlier when I started on the 93 superstorm

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

By the way folks if you are using definitions or explanations from other resources and not your own words we ask that you give credit so that we don't get in trouble. I ran into that earlier when I started on the 93 superstorm

If you post an article or a link to an article that contains the credit, you'll be OK. Don't post something taken from elsewhere as your own, w/o credit, though!

Aside from the image I posted on the sounding article and the image of a clown map (which I saved from a post during the January storm, but is from Weather bell, and probably should be changed), I have been using my own words along the way. The source of the image however came from a comment section on a Wunderground article. Not sure what to do there. I know the sounding was NWS produced, so maybe I don't?

Aside from the image I posted on the sounding article, I have been using my own words along the way. The source of the image however came from a comment section on a Wunderground article. Not sure what to do there. I know the sounding was NWS produced, so maybe I don't?
If it was posted like that I wouldn't sweat it. I was talking more about ripping it right off of a Web site. I mean we are going to have to use material from other places, I just wanted to be sure we were citing it properly. You know how the internet police from other sites can be

If you're posting a link to someone's website, no biggie; if you copy and paste text or pics from someone's website and don't give them credit - No No!
That includes copying and pasting and making minor changes - that doesn't make it yours!

Look at any Wiki article if you wanna be safe -

Reactions: SD
Back