• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern September Somnolence

I just don't remember not having a single front come through in September in all my years in Georgia. Granted, I was gone for six years.
I think the only September I don't recall there being a good cold front come through was in 2002.

having lived here since 1989 and follow local weather religiously, i can count on one hand the number of Septs that have not had at least 50s at night by now... this is pretty rare.

Not quite sure where else to put this ...
Any of you remember (probably not) when weather forecasts and forecasting was like this (2 minutes a day, crammed in between 6:20 and 6:22 PM when Mom was fussing about supper not being over, or stuffed into a day old wet newspaper that for the love of it all, however out of date, demanded devouring)? Or short wave radio?

th-1.jpg

th.jpg

I used to have a map that could be drawn on and erased; would look at the national temps and precip, and once a day plot their progression (as reports only came daily) and then "forecast" for Jax on a weekly basis based on Billings, Chi, St. Lou, then Atl and Sav as things moved; was 6 to 10 years old then and watching the Beatles in B&W ... that wipe-away map was my 1st weather "model" ... Oh well, have we progressed ... (???) ...
Just musing ... :rolleyes:

And for any of y'all with a devout love for weather, Google a guy named George Winterling ...

Attachments

• GeorgeWinterlingLate70s-jpg_335311_ver1.0_1280_720.jpg
    GeorgeWinterlingLate70s-jpg_335311_ver1.0_1280_720.jpg
    373.6 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
textbook late September weather:
gfs_T2m_us_41.png

there is a front, beyond ten days, but that's just the thing, it's beyond 10 days, and it's the GFS.

you could become a dental floss tycoon.

Last edited:
September will be the hottest month this year unfortunately. I can't even take anything seriously unless it's within 7 to 10 days.

I’ve been noticing the GFS wanting to flip the pattern later this month, would like it to be sped up soon so it can happen asap, regardless,

To go from this

gfs_z500_mslp_us_21.png

To this

gfs_z500_mslp_us_53.png

Would be a massive improvement.

October Octane-Super Summer 2018... haha.. Nah, I won't start that one.

You must not remember Oct 2010. That was the year without a fall. Straight from summer to winter.

When that first real front came though in early November of that year, it was awesome. It was in the 40s down here and I remember hearing about some hail/sleet in NE Alabama from some cold air aloft. I remember the Iron Bowl being very cold that year.

Then December 2010 came and there was freezing rain and snow multiple times that month.

I'd love to have the winter of 10/11 again but just maybe...can I sell on having July like temperatures through October? That might, might be the case though after early this week. It's fairly normal to top in the low 90s for a while (probably into mid October to be honest), but not normal to consistently be there.

But I'll take a +2/+3 October in exchange for a good winter.

But we all remember how that winter turned out, so I would sell a cool or seasonal October for a hot one to get the winter of 2010 - 2011 again.

Yeah that winter brought the wood. I can't remember how many times it snowed that winter. Nothing too major as we missed on the big show January 10, but the 3 inches on Christmas was awesome.

Gainesville high 96. they had a dewpoint of 80 at 5 PM!!!
The early AM low of 81 appears to still be the low for the day. IF that holds up, this will by 2 degrees be the warmest Sep low on record and tied with a couple of other days for the warmest low of any day/only 1 degree lower than the warmest low of all time!!

The 81 low for yesterday at Gainesville, FL, held up. That makes it by 2 degrees the warmest Sep low on record! It also was tied with I think 2 other dates for the 2nd warmest low for any day of the entire year! The warmest low on record for any date is only one degree warmer, 82.

The 81 low for yesterday at Gainesville, FL, held up. That makes it by 2 degrees the warmest Sep low on record! It also was tied with I think 2 other dates for the 2nd warmest low for any day of the entire year! The warmest low on record for any date is only one degree warmer, 82.
Yup and "ouch" ... :(

Yeah that winter brought the wood. I can't remember how many times it snowed that winter. Nothing too major as we missed on the big show January 10, but the 3 inches on Christmas was awesome.
4" on Christmas, 6 to 8 on the January storm, and 1 in February. The Christmas snow is what really did it since it hadn't happened in over 100 years prior to 2010.

Back