• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Oppressive Ornery Obstinate Opposite October

I have a possible solution. Just always assume it will be warm. Then you won't have to worry if it f it is going to be cold since you're never expecting it. There's no disappointment. If it turns out to get cold at times, which just about always happens at times, you'll be happy. It is all about expectations. Why expect cold anyway? Why torture yourself with unrealistic expectations, especially without El Nino?

Here I never expect snow, even a trace. I'm never disappointed.
That is true, because honestly the biggest snows we have had is when I have given up.... example: February 2015, winter was over for me, (so I thought) just randomly checked the forecast and saw winter storm warnings, got 9 inches out of it. But when I am watching a storm every run of the GFS, always get burned.

Sometimes It feels like I live in Florida again with these longer summers. At least in Florida the beach is close.
Yeah our climate is slowly becoming like FL. It's only a matter of time before snow is an ancient memory in Atlanta. Heck it's already been almost 4 years since Atlanta ( the airport) had any significant snow.

Meanwhile what I'd give to be in Denver tomorrow... 4-6 inches of snow expected on October 9th...

Forecast for the airport here is 97, 2 degrees above the record high:rolleyes:

DT's new video is out... found it to be somewhat encouraging for the upcoming Winter:

This kind of weather cant be good for pumpkins. I remember in 2010 i carved a pumpkin on Oct 28 and by Oct 31 it was rotten due to the damp, humid weather.

Hopefully this winter we get a significant snowstorm, with lots of snow to make up the difference over the few lost years.

The 80% chance of rain is panning our wonderfully today! :(

looking at the top 5 warmest Octobers for Chattanooga.. the theme seems to be slightly cool Winters with little snow. Last year was one exception. 07-08 wasn't all that good either.

Yeah our climate is slowly becoming like FL. It's only a matter of time before snow is an ancient memory in Atlanta. Heck it's already been almost 4 years since Atlanta ( the airport) had any significant snow.

You get one boohoo for this. From December 2002 to Febuary 2010 I didn't receive more than an inch and a half and the little events I did receive melted in a couple hours.

You get one boohoo for this. From December 2002 to Febuary 2010 I didn't receive more than an inch and a half and the little events I did receive melted in a couple hours.

I lived in Florida for 18 years so I went though snow withdrawal. I lived in Central NC for the past seven years (until June) and I got at least one small snowfall each winter, with the best being the Christmas snow in 2010. I was one of the winners this past January in High Point, NC when I got around 9 inches. It sounds like I will be lucky to see 1/3 of that anytime soon in Atlanta.

Oh, Lord have mercy on us ...

gfs_T2ma_us_44.png

I lived in Florida for 18 years so I went though snow withdrawal. I lived in Central NC for the past seven years (until June) and I got at least one small snowfall each winter, with the best being the Christmas snow in 2010. I was one of the winners this past January in High Point, NC when I got around 9 inches. It sounds like I will be lucky to see 1/3 of that anytime soon in Atlanta.
Atlanta ( the airport) hasnt had a 6" snowstorm in close to 35 years so i wouldnt hold my breath.

Atlanta ( the airport) hasnt had a 6" snowstorm in close to 35 years so i wouldnt hold my breath.

1. Part of the problem is that you're looking for something that climo of the last 113 years says not to expect as there have been only 4 6"+ snows (assuming 1/1982 is counted when in reality it wasn't from a single 6"+ snow...it was actually from back to back Miller As with IP/ZR between them (~1/2-1" of the precip was actually from sleet and 1.2" of the snow was from the 2nd low). If you take out 1982, you're left with only 1983, 1940, and 1936 as 6"+ single snowstorms officially at ATL since 1904-5. 3/1993 was 6"+ but only mainly in the northern (and western?) suburbs. Interestingly, ATL was clobbered with many 6"+ snowstorms the prior 20 years (Feb was the biggest month) but that was when the climate was colder there (and the official station being 11 miles further north didn't hurt).

2. In focusing on 6"+ snowstorms, you're leaving out several major sleetstorms or sleet-snow combos that added to less than 6" that often had much more impact than a pure 6" snow. Examples: 2/1979 and 1/1988. Also, the highest liquid equivalent winter storms at ATL have mainly been major ZRs.(~0.75"+ of ZR). If you were to go back in history and randomly pick out a 1"+ liquid equivalent major ATL winter storm without knowing ahead of time the type of precip, in most cases you'd be picking a major ZR.

3. There hasn't been a 6"+ snow in SAV ~180 years. I certainly don't focus on when the next one will be though I'd love to see it! There hasn't been a 1"+ snow in SAV since 1989 but I expect to be able to survive if none occur here for another 30 years..

Last edited:
Back