• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Midsouth Winter Storm January 12th-13th

This was the end of the wrf-arw2. Pretty neat!!
dcbbd7af42e2b077c18381690be29119.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That low is pretty far south compared to other models

3B985624-ED9D-4135-9029-07B0D57C95D6.png
Nam at hour 45. I would like to think if that low were to move slower and the colder air to push in quicker a lot of this would fall as snow. Not counting on that at this point though.

00z NAM is predominantly a freezing rain fest for TN with light snow.

00z NAM is predominantly a freezing rain fest for TN with light snow.

Yep. Most of this is a icy mess w/some snow....wxbell’s maps suck at showing reality!
265a8ca62679c6a54e52b3d68d3ac56f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Park that low over west central AL and let it keep turning. Lol. Do these ULL’s ever tend to slow or stall?

The big issue is the low is really not closed. NAM has been most inconsistent with this. It's trending toward the goofus and doc

RPM

RPM is meant to go farther out that that. It's really not that crappy, it's decent. It actually goes out 72 hours.

Well the famous James Spann says this about it:

"RPM: Rapid Precision Mesoscale model. A numerical weather prediction system based on the Advanced Research Weather Research and Forecast system (WRF-ARW). RPM generates forecasts out to 24 hours with updates every 3 hours in the United States and every 6 hours outside the United States. Precipitation forecasts are calculated from half-hourly instantaneous precipitation forecasts output by RPM. RPM model output is not available to the pubic; but we have full access and use it extensively in our forecast products."

The rest is here: https://www.alabamawx.com/?p=38944

Back