• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Major Hurricane Irma (Part 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recon headed towards the northeastern quadrant of Irma's eyewall, which has consistently been the strongest part of the storm. We should find out soon enough how strong this hurricane is atm...

View attachment 1125
I believe we are either in for a weaker storm, or something absolutely dreadfully worse. Irma seems to be at her peak for this cycle of strength and the cloud tops are cold in that area.

This is so tricky too fast it’s gonna feel that initial weakness (the one now coming through the SE now) however the ridge builds back in and depending on what’s happening and where she is the next break won’t be until the weekend.

Yes, that is the 18Z runs. Just remember when looking at those maps that that is as of X time, X being 0Z.
Ok i understand now, if thats the case then every new model is 6 hrs behide before the initial? Thanks man

"Even still, Irma could be a category 4 hurricane when it reaches the Carolinas and GA." Please, Eric tell me that is a typo.?.?......

"Even still, Irma could be a category 4 hurricane when it reaches the Carolinas and GA." Please, Eric tell me that is a typo.?.?......

The NHC has a 3 but if it can stay east of Florida(they take it over Florida and weaken it some which seems to be the most likely solution atm) a 4 is certainly possible I would say

meanwhile I think the winds may be a little lower now... they really didn't find 185 mph last flight either, NHC just kept it there likely because of it going through the islands

This is so tricky too fast it’s gonna feel that initial weakness (the one now coming through the SE now) however the ridge builds back in and depending on what’s happening and where she is the next break won’t be until the weekend.

Should be a incredible nowcast. If the Ridge holds on six hours more, a westward track and speed of twelve mph is 72 miles. That is a huge deal when it comes to landfall.

Nah that's not a typo... Even with increased vertical wind shear and dry air into Irma, the water off the SE US is considerably warmer than normal, the steering pattern, lacking a deep, large-scale/positively tilted trough, and given that Irma is probably going to be a large and powerful category 4 or 5 hurricane in the northern Bahamas, it will take a lot of time for Irma to spin down... Considering Irma might actually become even stronger than 160 knots in the Bahamas before it begins to interact w/ the ULL as a substantial poleward outflow channel develops to its north and oceanic heat content gets even higher, there's definitely a good chance to remain a category 4 hurricane if hits the Carolinas.

recon_AF309-1511A-IRMA_dropsonde4_20170907-0117.png

Nah that's not a typo... Even with increased vertical wind shear and dry air into Irma, the water off the SE US is considerably warmer than normal, the steering pattern, lacking a deep, large-scale/positively tilted trough, and given that Irma is probably going to be a large and powerful category 4 or 5 hurricane in the northern Bahamas, it will take a lot of time for Irma to spin down... Considering Irma might actually become even stronger than 160 knots in the Bahamas before it begins to interact w/ the ULL as a substantial poleward outflow channel develops to its north and oceanic heat content gets even higher, there's definitely a good chance to remain a category 4 hurricane if hits the Carolinas.
Webb - Serious IMBY question (for the whole peninsula) - Are we getting "safe" in N FL?
Personally, I have doubts, but if you tell me otherwise, my staff has to work Friday!

Webb - Serious IMBY question (for the whole peninsula) - Are we getting "safe" in N FL?
Personally, I have doubts, but if you tell me otherwise, my staff has to work Friday!

Definitely not, even if hurricane Irma stays offshore, it's possible that tropical storm force winds could make it into the Gainesville area. Irma's wind field is going to expand a lot when it begins to make its turn towards the north and interact with this ULL.

"there's definitely a good chance to remain a category 4 hurricane if hits the Carolinas".
I promise I'm not trolling. I'm deadly serious. 95% if us are novice. You're talking about the coast.?
Surely, not piedmont. TYIA

The coast is of course going to get the worst of it but if this is what it looks there is going to be widespread impact well inland.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back