• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Major Hurricane Florence

Long way to go of course but at the end of that run Florence was heading west but that high appears to be breaking down so if that run continued probably a close pass to the EC.... but yeah staying weaker longer "could" spell trouble later.

Not really, the ridge actually strengthens between hr210 and hr240. That is a very dangerous look for the eastern US.

Way out there but a few Florence members getting close by day 11 and another potential one heading towards the Caribbean.

eps_mslp_lows_atlantic_264.png

Looks like flo might have a LLC out running convection right now. Combine that with increasing shear and marginal SSTs over the coming days and a weaker system that will be farther west becomes a higher possibility.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Not really, the ridge actually strengthens between hr210 and hr240. That is a very dangerous look for the eastern US.
I thought it looked as if the highs shifting east not breaking down, but I stand corrected... it does look ominous

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I thought it looked as if the highs shifting east not breaking down, but I stand corrected... it does look ominous

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
You can see the bend back west northwest on the euro toward the end of the run in the image below. The euro might still recurve at the coast
The GFS intensity forecast thru 36-48 HR is going to look very silly if something doesn't change in a hurry w/ Florence.
Yeah in 42 hours the 6z had flo at 986 and the 0z euro at 48 hrs was 1003. The euro weakens the system even more after that time period while the gfs holds steady.
92680709be5078fd81dc1c6f76ae9243.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Shocker lol.
"All but the GFS and HWRF
models have picked up on this more westerly component of motion, and
the ECMWF and UKMET models are now the southernmost models in the
guidance suite. Since the ridge to the north is expected to remain
intact and even build more westward over the next 5 days, the new
NHC track forecast has been shifted southward and to the left of the
previous advisory track..."

Shocker lol.
"All but the GFS and HWRF
models have picked up on this more westerly component of motion, and
the ECMWF and UKMET models are now the southernmost models in the
guidance suite. Since the ridge to the north is expected to remain
intact and even build more westward over the next 5 days, the new
NHC track forecast has been shifted southward and to the left of the
previous advisory track..."
And I'm sure the track will keep shifting west and south. The latest advisory also weakened Florence back to 50 mph due to poor organization. It'll likely stay that way until it gets closer to land or the Caribbean unless the environment is unfavorable there.

Same thoughts as well, that Euro look screams a rare southwest turn(for that location of the Atlantic) as the ridge builds in.

Andrew nearly died in the Central Atlantic too due to shear and dry air

and now we have Florence struggling

Same thoughts as well, that Euro look screams a rare southwest turn(for that location of the Atlantic) as the ridge builds in.
Only thing is that it would be anywhere between N FL to NC I would say if it took that route. However, it would be a cat 3 or 2 at the strongest unless something else happens.
The 12z CMC shows a eastern seaboard landfall. Keeps the Ridge intacted.
That's another possible scenario. We could get it going up the East coast and not making direct landfall or making it around VA as likely just a strong cat 1 or 2 It just has to get closer before we can guess where it's going but for sure it's going to be a lot of watching if it doesn't recurve.

Back