• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Major Hurricane Florence

Her current position is just a hair north of the guidance, the stall and westward thing will most likely occur but I'm concerned a little further north before that occurs could destroy the fragile OBX
81811b408761b346c8bd856e7b1d7a1f.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll ask again since nobody replied...

What kind of impacts could this have on the coastal NUKE PLANT in NC? What kind of precaution can they take to ensure safety? NOBODY is talking about this...crazy!
Nuclear power plants are capable of surviving almost any natural disaster exempting major earthquakes and tsunamis, which are nearly impossible. Plants can take hurricanes and survive, they just can't put out power.

Fukushima's diesel generators flooded out and went offline. Hopefully, they got ours up on some stilts or something, but it's hard to prepare for a never-before-seen natural disaster -- for instance, a Cat 4 hurricane spinning for 48 hours, battering the coast with 100 mph + winds, continuous storm surge, and nearly 100" of rain (courtesy of the UK).

This EWRC is a very bad thing for the NC coast. Assuming it completes the wind field will likely expand and Florence would have the chance to intensify prior to landfall. However even if it doesn't complete it will probably expand the wind outward so instead of a tight core of winds it might be a larger swath of winds with a lower intensity. The surge potential for the coast especially the areas it stalls is pretty scary.

I'll ask again since nobody replied...

What kind of impacts could this have on the coastal NUKE PLANT in NC? What kind of precaution can they take to ensure safety? NOBODY is talking about this...crazy!

It’s a nuclear power plant on the coast and they are already built to be incredibly durable. The main issue is with power (ironically) but they have emergency diesel generators if needed. At least 2 nuclear power plants have been hit by Cat 5 storms and both operated off diesel power for several days before coming back online and operating normally.

Long story short: modern nuclear power plants are prepared for things like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 12z Nam brings pretty good sustained winds into the triangle. That stall if the coast will likely point a firehose into the southern triangle. Not as worried as I was originally in Wake but downed trees seem likely at this point

So. The idea is this thing is going to chill off the coast of SE NC somewhere, and come Southwest. Is it going to ride the coast? Is it going to make landfall in SE NC? All of these factors greatly affect what happens downstream here in South Carolina, especially.

At this point, I'd expect a rapidly weakening tropical storm coming through the Midlands of SC somewhere. We won't be seeing the horrendous rains anything like the 1000 year flood by any means, but winds coupled with heavy rains will make things tedious.

The eventual track will dictate how much wind and rain we see. For example, we'd see a lot more rain in Columbia, if the system cuts through the Southern part of our state. If it cuts through the North of Columbia, The impacts will be less intense, but put places like Charlotte in a situation of heavy rain.

Either way, I expect the name "Florence" to be retired for the amount of damage and rainfall she drops on SE NC alone. If she decides to stay off shore and track back West before coming into the Charleston area, the majority of SC is in for it.

TLDR. Expect tropical force conditions in a big chunk of SC. We don't know where her center will track, so that makes a forecast of rain and wind impossible to come up with right now.

Back