• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Magnificent March

The 0Z GFS didn’t have any snow in NC either. However the 6Z is actually a little further south than 0Z. Not surprisingly, GFS appears to be on an island by itself.

Gfs has been as steady as it gets over the last 6 days with this system. Either it’s gonna cave or it’s gonna score

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Euro took a huge step with the 00z run..

Expect changes today given the energy associated with this storm will be sampled by the 12z runs or definitely by the 00z runs tonight

It’s hard to talk specifics now, we need to wait for a track to be nailed first before dissecting temps/soundings, etc. I like the latest trends overall.

UKMET is a thing of beauty. If we only had the cold air to go with it. . .

ukmet_5h_00Z_03-09-18_96h.png
ukmet_mslp_00Z_03-09-18_96h.png

Last edited:
Gfs has been as steady as it gets over the last 6 days with this system. Either it’s gonna cave or it’s gonna score

It may score but let's be honest the GFS has been steady as she goes more than once this winter only to cave in the 11th hour.....

So whether it works out or not just having the below HWO beats the heck out of February

Hazardous Weather Outlook
Hazardous Weather Outlook
National Weather Service Raleigh NC
805 AM EST Fri Mar 9 2018

NCZ007>011-021>025-038-039-101315-
Person-Granville-Vance-Warren-Halifax-Forsyth-Guilford-Alamance-
Orange-Durham-Davidson-Randolph-
805 AM EST Fri Mar 9 2018

This Hazardous Weather Outlook is for central North Carolina.

.DAY ONE...Today and Tonight.

Hazardous weather is not expected at this time.

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...Saturday through Thursday.

Rain may become mixed with snow late Sunday night through Monday
morning across the northwest Piedmont and Northern Coastal Plain of
central NC. At this time, no travel problems are anticipated.
However, a high degree of uncertainty remains as the system is still
in its developing stage. You are advised to keep abreast of the
forecast this weekend.

It may score but let's be honest the GFS has been steady as she goes more than once this winter only to cave in the 11th hour.....

True but the other guidance has been all over the place with this system over the past 5 days. Hell just look at the ukmet it’s spit a different solution almost every run . If you take each models known bias with the gfs being too progressive with the souther stream energy and the euro dragging ass holding back the southern energy you probably get a solution in the middle of the euro and gfs which could work for your area

Maybe there is a shot since we're 48 hours out and really have no idea what will happen. We seem to do better with systems that evolve as we get closer to the zero hour than ones that show a winter storm more than a couple of days out.

This will end up being a North of 40/West of 85 event IMO without a stronger high it will be tough for most on NC to get accumulating snow from this. Virginia should do well.

It would be a win just to see snow fall this time of year, even if it doesn't accumulate. I'd rather have that than more rain.

You would think plants, trees etc..would know better than to bloom this early. Sadly, whatever was out there last night didn’t stand a chance around here

The Bradford Pear trees didn’t look so good this morning on my way to work. I’m driving by an apple orchard later this afternoon to see how they look. Not sure how long it takes for damage to show

The Bradford Pear trees didn’t look so good this morning on my way to work. I’m driving by an apple orchard later this afternoon to see how they look. Not sure how long it takes for damage to show
They smell so bad. I'm glad it's almost over!

Here's the updated probabilities for 1"+ of snow via the EPS. Obviously you can argue that the probabilities themselves are underdispersive and don't account for melting and lower ratios etc but the distribution seems fairly realistic. Pretty high chances for accumulating snow in the mountains, south-central VA (esp from Richmond and points W) and the VA border counties. RDU is on the outside looking in but clearly has a legitimate chance to squeeze something out.
DX2wv-tX0AEyUMK.jpg

Back