• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Magnificent March

Well...early March not looking to be any cooler. SER sticking around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When that PV split gets picked up by models, flip to cold will be quick ! The -NAO is coming! When all hope is lost, we sneak in a miracle snow. Just wish we could have sustained cold, as easily as we can sustain heat and the SE ridge!

00z gefs, eps and geps. Takes us into the first week of March . Someone please post the CFSv2 and tell me it's all gonna be ok ...
677a1dd6109eb0f2783153444b9e4ce0.jpg
2512f9f96f454e39ce2c10caaa8a3d74.jpg
42d7c14e6bff59a941c625daac2f8b4b.jpg

Sent from my SM-J320VPP using Tapatalk
Nope, it's not going to be okay. I'm 1 week from punting March for all but maybe TX. Front loaded and done seems to be coming to reality. It was a good winter ;).

Guess we shouldn't be surprised, models have been modeling blocking in the extended and it hasn't panned out yet. GEFS backing off the stout -NAO.

gfs-ens_z500trend_namer_25.png

Guess we shouldn't be surprised, models have been modeling blocking in the extended and it hasn't panned out yet. GEFS backing off the stout -NAO.

View attachment 4033
Those maps can be deceiving. Doesn’t look like it to me.
b1d2f6ca406f4db4034a19b341e052ee.jpg

Also, West-based -NAO isn’t supposed to form until March 1 or later

Last edited:
Those maps can be deceiving. Doesn’t look like it to me.

Compare the chart you posted versus the one from 2/14 0z run. Today’s run for 2/24 has a -1std NAO and the 2/14 0z run was -3std. Not saying there won’t be a NAO block but GEFS is backing off the strength as it gets closer.

Compare the 2/22 dates below. These darn NAO blocks have been so tough to achieve. Still hope to see a little snow event in March.

552D51B1-C470-4B73-B89B-DBC5CE31F0A4.jpeg

DA0F8C93-A19E-4A8D-B6B6-FB9EF57048C4.jpeg

Compare the chart you posted versus the one from 2/14 0z run. Today’s run for 2/24 has a -1std NAO and the 2/14 0z run was -3std. Not saying there won’t be a NAO block but GEFS is backing off the strength as it gets closer.

Compare the 2/22 dates below. These darn NAO blocks have been so tough to achieve. Still hope to see a little snow event in March.

View attachment 4035

View attachment 4034
I do think many of us (in upper South anyways) will get our March flizzard. That may be about it though.

Even with a -NAO, it wouldn't usually do the SE US all that good if the Pacific has a solid -PNA. Bottom line: the SE US needs a better Pacific...i.e., no west coast trough.

This is a pattern the NE can benefit from. Yeah, we’ll need a ridge out west for the SE lol

View attachment 4035

View attachment 4034

I see what you’re saying. The -NAO in general appears later comparing those two model runs for 2/22...the image you posted showing the 48hr trends analyzes the area a west-based NAO would appear, and if we had graphics analyzing those I doubt there would be a huge difference in timing. I know Allan Huffman used to have west-based graphs. My point is the -NAO on 2/22 won’t matter but I get your point, if it delays into March....but given the strong multi model ensemble support I’m pretty convinced we see one.

As this gif shows it’s mostly just noise, -NAO bouncing around.
b395b71c3e0627d164f5d2b09807062b.jpg

Last edited:
Nothing like the toasty combo of a -NAO along with a central US ridge. This winter has turned into a wall to wall suckfest of suckiness. It’s hard to understand why we can’t have 3 months out of the year, half of which doesnt feel like an extension of spring or summer.

Nothing like the toasty combo of a -NAO along with a central US ridge. This winter has turned into a wall to wall suckfest of suckiness. It’s hard to understand why we can’t have 3 months out of the year, half of which doesnt feel like an extension of spring or summer.

It is disappointing to potentially have the third straight winter where February and March was snowless. Hard to complain to much with two great winter events in January.

12 z euro has perhaps our first severe weather threat for the mid south tn valley region day 9. 10
Do 9-10 day severe threats turn out better than 9-10 day winter storms or cold? If not, let me tell you how that will turn out...,

This reminds me of those back loaded winters we enjoyed the last 2-3 year’s! :mad:

Atleast most of yall got snow. I'd be happy down here with a 1-3 inch snowstorm and the rest of Winter torching considering we haven't got hit in 4 years here.

Back