• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern June Bugs

I'll take a few 100 degree days if we can get some lower humidity and lows not so oppressive as the past few summers.. last summer's hottest temp in CHA I believe was 99, but we had long bouts of AN lows... mid to even upper 70s at times. When did Tennessee suddenly become Florida?
Sometimes it's hotter here than in Florida. LOL

Like eastern ridge/downslope winds dry type of heat? Or just the typical hot/humid with afternoon storms type of heat?
Southerly flow east of the lee trough, downslope west. This setup could really favor the big heat being from CLT to GSO with a bit cooler due to higher dewpoints, clouds and rain from RDU to FAY. Regardless 95-100 looks common Sunday-Wednesday with Monday-Tuesday being the hottest.

There can’t be a heatwave with all this soil moisture! Can’t happen!
It's working for me. No 90's yet, and I'm sure it's because I'm a tenth short of 11 inches since mid May. Even if I don't get rained on the storms are close, like last night, with thunder all around, and I stay cloudy a lot of each day with breezes when the storms are near. Loving it!

Southerly flow east of the lee trough, downslope west. This setup could really favor the big heat being from CLT to GSO with a bit cooler due to higher dewpoints, clouds and rain from RDU to FAY. Regardless 95-100 looks common Sunday-Wednesday with Monday-Tuesday being the hottest.
If we can get some cumu-nimbus development I can manage to live with it. I can't remember what year it was SD, maybe 2012, we had a time of consistent NW winds and near 100 degree heat day after day. The only respite we'd have would be those derecho type of storms that would form NW of here and survive long enough to move into the area late in the evening, but would never push through (dry entire time).

Today has been typical of most days this summer so far, and really since early spring. I guess I've had maybe 1 or two hours worth of sun today. It's been cloudy mostly, since I got up, and here in the heat of the day, it's 82.5. I'll take that in a summer day anytime. I'm pretty sure this is all about the apoxyclipse coming...even though I have been bitten by mosquitoes on one occasion. I mean, really, one bite in mid June for the whole year, and now I'm extra concerned by the enormous numbers of fireflies. Don't get me wrong, I love the light shows I'm getting, but when the lightening bugs are swarming like the mozzies used to do, well, if that's not the apoxyclipse, it's pretty close. Cloudy all day, light shows for the ages at night, and still few mosquitoes.....I'm watching my Katla cam daily now, and I'm storing up food and water..this is apt to be much worse than Y2K!!! And we all remember how bad that was.....I need to fashion a tin foil external jock strap to protect my vitals...I need to think ahead in case I'm one of the last men on earth...and everyone knows women do much better in apoxyclipeses than men. I will not shirk my duty to human kind! I have been stock piling tin foil, and trying to get my neighbors to wear tin foil protection, but they chase me back behind my gates, and say rude things...non believers.

Today has been typical of most days this summer so far, and really since early spring. I guess I've had maybe 1 or two hours worth of sun today. It's been cloudy mostly, since I got up, and here in the heat of the day, it's 82.5. I'll take that in a summer day anytime. I'm pretty sure this is all about the apoxyclipse coming...even though I have been bitten by mosquitoes on one occasion. I mean, really, one bite in mid June for the whole year, and now I'm extra concerned by the enormous numbers of fireflies. Don't get me wrong, I love the light shows I'm getting, but when the lightening bugs are swarming like the mozzies used to do, well, if that's not the apoxyclipse, it's pretty close. Cloudy all day, light shows for the ages at night, and still few mosquitoes.....I'm watching my Katla cam daily now, and I'm storing up food and water..this is apt to be much worse than Y2K!!! And we all remember how bad that was.....I need to fashion a tin foil external jock strap to protect my vitals...I need to think ahead in case I'm one of the last men on earth...and everyone knows women do much better in apoxyclipeses than men. I will not shirk my duty to human kind! I have been stock piling tin foil, and trying to get my neighbors to wear tin foil protection, but they chase me back behind my gates, and say rude things...non believers.
:);)

For those that are interested, I've brought the ENS ONI and the associated tables back to life on my website, and it has been updated to the present and further refined. I've attached excel data to the monthly SSTs (1850-present), monthly ONI data, tri-monthly raw data, standardized data, and rankings.
https://www.webberweather.com/ensemble-oceanic-nino-index.html
Screen Shot 2018-06-14 at 4.44.25 PM.png

Really like rain chances starting tuesday and lasting through most of next week

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I hope so! Has Euro runs today backed off the heat any? And when is it breaking? By next Wednesday?

I hope so! Has Euro runs today backed off the heat any? And when is it breaking? By next Wednesday?
No euro is still hot but it's not a stifling ridge it shows aftn storm chances through Monday. Its really wet tuesday onward

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The similarities between 1876-1880 & 2014-now in terms of ENSO are pretty insane, should be very interesting to see if we also manage to pull out a weak El Nino after the equinox.

1875-76 & 2013-14: Cold neutral ENSO
1876-77 & 2014-15: Weak El Nino develops after the Equinox
1877-78 & 2015-16: "Super" El Nino
1878-78 & 2016-17: Cold neutral ENSO
1879-80 & 2017-18: Weak-Moderate La Nina
1880-81 & 2018-19: Weak El Nino develops after the equinox (?)

Screen Shot 2018-06-14 at 6.12.28 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-06-14 at 6.11.55 PM.png

The similarities between 1876-1880 & 2014-now in terms of ENSO are pretty insane, should be very interesting to see if we also manage to pull out a weak El Nino after the equinox.

1875-76 & 2013-14: Cold neutral ENSO
1876-77 & 2014-15: Weak El Nino develops after the Equinox
1877-78 & 2015-16: "Super" El Nino
1878-78 & 2016-17: Cold neutral ENSO
1879-80 & 2017-18: Weak-Moderate La Nina
1880-81 & 2018-19: Weak El Nino develops after the equinox (?)

View attachment 5368

View attachment 5367
Nice! Did it snow big in those 1800 years??

There was a massive snowstorm right before New Years in December 1880 that dropped 11" of snow in the Charlotte metro area, unfortunately there aren't many records for other cities like Columbia, and Raleigh but the snowfall distribution probably didn't look all that dissimilar from January 1988.

Thanks to library newspapers on microfilm, I know that during each of those 3 El Ninos (1876-7, 1877-8, and 1880-1) that Atlanta had one significant to major snow:
- 4" 1/2/1877
- 2.5" 1/3/1878
- 6" 12/29/1880 on just 0.28" liquid equivalent!

Also, during that cold neutral winter of 1875-6, Atlanta had an unsually late 3" snow on 3/21/1876!

Not seeing the wetter / “ cooler” pattern showing up later next week!?

Attachments

• 49E01D88-E8D1-41B7-90BC-42B61E82B162.png
    49E01D88-E8D1-41B7-90BC-42B61E82B162.png
    274.5 KB · Views: 13
Back