• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Jammin January 2024

21 years ago today, two of my favorite AFDs of all time

january 23rd 0z afd

january 23rd 6z afd
The old “fly in the ointment”. Expected 1-2” with temperatures in the upper 20s. Woke up to thundersnow, absolutely ripping fatties, 6” already on the ground and temperatures in the upper teens and it stayed there all day. Then a low of 1 the next morning

january 23rd 0z afd

january 23rd 6z afd
Back in the days CMS didn’t cancel school until 6 AM day of. I remember this one like it was yesterday. Thomas and Conklin on WBTV were the only ones talking about the possibility of a surprise on the evening news. I remember waking up multiple times that night looking out the bedroom window, and finally around 1 am or so it looked like a dense fog had set in. The next time I looked the ground was turning white. By daybreak it was a winter wonderland. The next evening made for the best sledding on pure snow I can remember.

january 23rd 0z afd

january 23rd 6z afd
Never forget this one. Had just had like .2 frzng rain minor event still on limbs from Saturday. Monday morn news they talking how models had missed ns energy by a 1000 miles and that light snow,beleive atlanta, n ga was occuring. Then later that day had got up to charlotte. But at 6pm news triad ,nws said maybe 1-3 overnight,more off to east. The Fish on chanel 5 evening news Triangle, started honking Raleigh was gonna see its bigest storm ever possibly overnight. As of 11pm triad news guys where filming from Montgomery county, snow was pouring, we where getting lighter snow, about 2 inches and they still insisted 1 to 3 max down our way. Well overnight we caught the pivot as storm went beast mode and I had 15, time you got to eastern part county into chatham triangle 20+ by sunrise. Back towards winston, yadkinvilke, almost nada.

Yall have to understand internet was dial up,new,infant stages still. Only way we got weather was radio,tv. What made bastardi so famous,would come on AM radio every morning wsjs and talk weather for 4 mins max. The good ole days. That dable of ice helped catch every snowflake on trees. Lost power for 7 straight days. Temps hit near 0 next couple nights. Then a few days latter we caught another 5 incher all snow on top

It's trying to be more than clipper action

gfs_z500_vort_us_35.png

if i have to track another thing that relies on trends of more digging and a better tilt i am going to scream
Add in an extremely marginal air mass and I am out. At least most of the northern stream waves we've gouged our eyes out for recently usually have an Arctic air mass that never makes it in.

Getting closer boys,hang in there. Only mis- timed it this time by about 3 hours. One of these days moisture will show up when temp is 32 or less. Be of good cheer, we may not see the sun for 5 days.

1706023366261.png
Edit. My apologies for jabbering in the wrong thread past 2 post. Just realized.

Add in an extremely marginal air mass and I am out. At least most of the northern stream waves we've gouged our eyes out for recently usually have an Arctic air mass that never makes it in.
You mean you don't like artic cold that latitudinally dives like a friggin' dart for the GoM? :)

Back