1. Hello guests. Please take a minute to sign up and join in the conversation. It's free, quick, and easy!

HOME WEATHER STATION

Discussion in 'Weather Equipment & Software' started by PEA_RIDGE, Oct 9, 2017.

1. PEA_RIDGE

PEA_RIDGE SKETCHY FLETCHY Member

What is a good home weather station? . My old acurite bit the dust and im in the market for a new one

2. proud dad

proud dad Supporter Member

I love my Davis Vantage Vue. Had it for 5 years with zero problems.

SD likes this.
  3. SD

SD Staff Member Administrator

100% agree with this.
    I will say if you do want to go cheaper than davis getting another acurite isn't a bad option. If you are a total nerd like me and want the data all the time the ability of the acurite data to display your current conditions on your phone is pretty solid. I prefer the davis though since it seems more accurate wrt to rainfall and there are much better data logging options.

proud dad likes this.
  4. crecre9

crecre9 Supporter Member

I'll add another vote for the Acurite 5in1. Mine has been operating for more than two years now. I have the console plugged into a Raspberry Pi 2 running WeeWX software to upload the data to several websites(WU, PWS, CWOP), as well as a personal one. I would like to upgrade one day to some Davis equipment, but $$$. According to the automated analysis on CWOP, my station is consistent and relatively accurate.

proud dad likes this.
  5. metwannabe

metwannabe Staff Member Moderator Supporter

Is one Acurite better than the other that you know of? And do you know anything about the Ambient 5-1 weather station? I have to watch the budget here so Davis is definitely out and I have concerns about the temp sensor on the acurite.... if I'm going to pay 125+ for a new weather station I want to make sure I'm happy with it, hate decisions like this lol

6. Shawn

Shawn Staff Member Administrator Moderator Site Developer

I think you'll have a warranty. if it just plain sucks get your money back. If it dies outside warranty, its not extremely hard to learn to solder (or get a friend to) if needed and replace it with something better. I would be more worried about the true guts outside the sensors.

metwannabe likes this.
  7. SD

SD Staff Member Administrator

The ambient was good for about a year then it started reading too low on the TD and too high on rainfall. The temp sensor on the accurite is fine and most of their models have fans now. I would honestly stand behind any acurite weather station over ambient.

metwannabe likes this.
  8. metwannabe

metwannabe Staff Member Moderator Supporter

Thanks... acurite looks great has great reviews and honestly it's not that much more than the ambient. Time to hit the buy button

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

9. crecre9

crecre9 Supporter Member

Specifically, I have the 1035 Acurite 5in1. You can check out the CWOP summary for my site, which includes analysis of the data, at http://weather.gladstonefamily.net/site/E8041. For example, when compared with nearby stations, my station shows an average temperature error of -0.1 deg F and an error standard deviation of 1.7 deg F.

ETA: Looking at longer term (52wk) analysis, the temperature error is a bit higher, but is better than many surrounding stations (which include some more expensive equipment), according to their analysis.

10. whamby

whamby politicians discussing climate change Member

in the market for one.. are there any good ones under 100 dollars?

11. crecre9

crecre9 Supporter Member

Acurite makes some that report temp/humidity and wind, but no rain for about $80. For $130 you can get their current 5-in-1 and also a lightning sensor.

Acurite 3-in-1
    Acurite 5-in-1

whamby likes this.