• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Health and Well Being

Sandbar

Reaction score
Gonna use my knowledge for good in this one. I want to help people be their best physically and mentally and encourage others to add their thoughts.....

Cold water stimulus
Going to start my first tip with my morning ritual. I get asked all the time by prospective SEALS if they should take cold showers before BUDS to "get used to it". My answer is always "better to kick yourself in the nuts" if you want to prepare for BUDS.....BUT......We did take cold showers religiously in the Teams for health purposes. Ice baths are better for adjusting purposes but ain't no ice bath in Afghanistan. There is however plenty of cold water so showers are harsher but easier. The benefits of this are numerous. It stimulates the brain, gets your blood flowing through the body and positively affects the CNS. If you are male your partner with thank you at bedtime I promise as cold water stimulus cleans the pipes! Try a cold water shower to start your day and I 100% promise you will have a better day.

Added:
Train slowly and build up. Don't have to go full cold first day. Get it colder and longer every day until you find your sweet spot

I started CrossFit in March of last year. Went 4 or so times a week and really leaned out even though I’ve slacked off in the last 4-5 weeks after a bout with the flu. It’s been a really good thing for me both mentally and physically.

I started CrossFit in March of last year. Went 4 or so times a week and really leaned out even though I’ve slacked off in the last 4-5 weeks after a bout with the flu. It’s been a really good thing for me both mentally and physically.
Crossfit type workouts are all I do anymore. All we had in the desert was tires, sandbags, cmu blocks and chinup bars for the most part. We had to learn to use our bodies as the equipment and it really is the best form of exercise if you do it properly. Check out The Murph that was a crossfit challenge inspired by Michael Murphy. This is what we did while deployed

Crossfit type workouts are all I do anymore. All we had in the desert was tires, sandbags, cmu blocks and chinup bars for the most part. We had to learn to use our bodies as the equipment and it really is the best form of exercise if you do it properly. Check out The Murph that was a crossfit challenge inspired by Michael Murphy. This is what we did while deployed
Yeah I like it. Also they incorporate weight/strength training with the rest of it. I like row machine workouts. I did the murph last year. Took me over an hour but I finished. Looking to improve my time this year substantially. I like the accountability aspect of CrossFit.

Yeah I like it. Also they incorporate weight/strength training with the rest of it. I like row machine workouts. I did the murph last year. Took me over an hour but I finished. Looking to improve my time this year substantially. I like the accountability aspect of CrossFit.
Accountability! That's the perfect word for it. This is the way our early ancestors built their bodies. By natural movements. I have a barn gym where I run some BJJ and self defense workouts for a few local friends and I incorporate the same philosophy of natural movement when I train those guys. Do what your body was designed to do!

Back