• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Learning Global Warming facts and fiction

Status
Not open for further replies.
I firmly believe in Climate Change as that is the history of our planet. The fact we are living in near the optimum Climate for human existence is a fortunate circumstance, or a plan of intelligent design (take your personal pick), The question is in the details, how much is cyclical, natural variation(s), human land use issues, and greenhouse gases? Based on temperature records (which are extremely limited in time span) we are definitely in a warming period as a whole since the 1930's with years fluctuating in some years in either direction. My biggest complaint is when people of either side sensationalize a specific event or even decade to make their point or you use a model projection to do the same thing. It really bothers me when people say we are above or below the "average" temperature when nobody could possibly come close to defining exactly what that number is over the history of Climate. If you mean average for the numerical record then you have at least a scintilla of a point but to measure to the 2nd or 3rd decimal and comparing it to a proxy is ridiculous IMO. Time itself will be the official arbitrator of who was closest to being correct

I firmly believe in Anthropogenic Climate Change... still a good post though..

I firmly believe in Anthropogenic Climate Change... still a good post though..
Yeah I think it plays a role but not the major driver some are trying to make it out to be. How much of a role is the 64,000 question and one we are nowhere near putting an accurate number to. I can see how some can draw the conclusion it is the biggest difference from the 1940's on, but also believe correlation is not causation.

Yeah I think it plays a role but not the major driver some are trying to make it out to be. How much of a role is the 64,000 question and one we are nowhere near putting an accurate number to. I can see how some can draw the conclusion it is the biggest difference from the 1940's on, but also believe correlation is not causation.
It’s definitely in the drivers seat and natural variation cannot explain the accelerated warming we have seen in the last one hundred years. In fact, natural drivers alone we should be cooling. Another thing is if you factor in C02 in climate models it matches up with the changes of temperature. I wish I could find the two graphs but it was explained very well in my introduction to weather and climate class..

For clarity purposes, two climate models were “run” with and without co2 factored in and guess what the co2 once matched very linearly with the rise in temperature... and the other one predicted cooling..

For clarity purposes, two climate models were “run” with and without co2 factored in and guess what the co2 once matched very linearly with the rise in temperature... and the other one predicted cooling..

Every run the IPCC has produced that I have seen have substantially exceeded the model predictions of magnitude of temperature rise. When they include the cloud feedback and have their other warming feedback mechanisms factored correctly then they will some clarity, but they are a long way away from that now

So, second coldest NYE in history for some areas;Ball drop. How does this factor into Climate Change? Is this considered just an extreme or something?

So, second coldest NYE in history for some areas;Ball drop. How does this factor into Climate Change? Is this considered just an extreme or something?
Lets just say, next weeks brutal cold snap will not be a subject of discussion for the left. According to the original manuscript for "Global Warming" this shouldn't be happening. Carry on

Lets just say, next weeks brutal cold snap will not be a subject of discussion for the left. According to the original manuscript for "Global Warming" this shouldn't be happening. Carry on
no climate scientist or anyone who actually knows a bit of science behind AGW would ever remotely claim that.

no climate scientist or anyone who actually knows a bit of science behind AGW would ever remotely claim that.

Awesome, that leaves out Mann and his disciples who are responsible for one of the biggest frauds in modern times; the "hockey stick."

"In March 2000, for example, “senior research scientist” David Viner, working at the time for the Climatic Research Unit (CRU) at the University of East Anglia, told the U.K. Independent that within “a few years,” snowfall would become “a very rare and exciting event” in Britain. “Children just aren’t going to know what snow is,” he was quoted as claiming in the article, headlined “Snowfalls are now just a thing of the past.”

The very next year, snowfall across the United Kingdom increased by more than 50 percent. In 2008, perfectly timed for a “global warming” legislation debate in Parliament, London saw its first October snow since 1934.

The outlandish predictions of snowless winters have failed to materialize, the CRU dramatically changed its tune on snowfall. All across Britain, in fact, global-warming alarmists rushed to blame the record cold and heavy snow experienced in recent years on — you guessed it! — global warming. Less snow: global warming. More snow: global warming."

Preface: I am not pro or against climate change science/theories.

This cold outbreak might be considered an "extreme" and not a "constant".

Point: co2 is on the rise. so lets try to stop that. seems like that stuff kills humans, regardless if its causing warming etc. Lets not invest billions of dollars into failed wind and solar companies that are looking to make a quick buck though. lets do it smartly. with the will of humans. not the government.

The problem with climate change/anti climate change is that the government is involved.

Lets be real right now. If anyone, right or left, doesn't believe that humans attribute to co2 levels, then they are sadly mistaken. As an individual with no view each way, it doesnt take much to figure that the more people we breed and the more houses we build, we destroy forests. Which replenish oxygen from co2.

Its not cow farts, human farts, or even garbage causing it. Its human greed. Cause you know, we totally need soccer mom SUVs and Hummers as an example. Lets not forget about Mrs. Macy down the road that MUST always have her vacation home's power on 24/7 with optimal heating and air. Even when she is in another country.

Last edited:
You know what chaps my a$$ though? (i support/supported trump); is his stupid rhetoric on Twitter about how this cold weather is a reason to have global warming or not, as a whole. Once again. Political.

If you remove the government & politics from the debate, guess what? People will listen. Right now, its a divisive. Sucks. But people naturally, want to be opposite of each other. All the idiots in Washington have to do is draw a line in the sand to make people think one way or another. Think about it for a second.

All humans know co2 is bad. Oxygen is good. Our survival is based on it. The government has used it as a tool, for both the left and right, to divide people.

It makes it hard for people to believe it's anything other than political when AGW pushers make these absolute short term predictions about the changes that are coming and they never verify. So then, they make 100 and 200 year predictions knowing that no one will be around to see if they were right or not. That gives them zero credibility. It's all political and it's sad bc we humans do not treat this planet with as much care as we should and yes we could all do a lot better. We are tiny little specs living on a tiny spec surrounded by other tiny little specs and to think we possess all of this control over our existence is comical

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back