• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern ENSO Updates

JB today on el nino
582f80b05b6ab417b04c9d1523c02e0c.gif

Sent from my SM-J320VPP using Tapatalk

Lmfao... He's definitely slowly beginning to cave because he's talking about it less and less and now claims there's this supposed "war", it's one of the first phases in a busted Joe Bastardi forecast. :weenie:

Lmfao... He's definitely slowly beginning to cave because he's talking about it less and less and now claims there's this supposed "war", it's one of the first phases in a busted Joe Bastardi forecast. :weenie:

Want to bet he still forecast a below normal temperatures seasonal outlook and heavy snows in the east.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I seriously can't believe how high these ONI values are for the 1877-78 Super El Nino in ERSSTv5, the monthly ONI values exceeded +3.0C for 5 successive months and the tri-monthly values almost reached +3.5C!! WOW. Definitely puts 1997-98 to shame...

Last edited:
Certainly miss the old days when JB wasn't as biased and would actually get winter forecasts right. I'll give him a lot of credit, he absolutely crushed 2009-10...
View attachment 704
Yeah, I agree. His time at Accuweather made it worth going and reading his forecasts for winter, but once he left, it wasn't worth it.

Certainly miss the old days when JB wasn't as biased and would actually get winter forecasts right. I'll give him a lot of credit, he absolutely crushed 2009-10...
View attachment 704

Yep. He did well at Accu. Makes you wonder what true parameters he has to work within at weatherbell. Having to sell something will cause you to do and say some crazy things

Yep. He did well at Accu. Makes you wonder what true parameters he has to work within at weatherbell. Having to sell something will cause you to do and say some crazy things

and in my world, get disbarred ... a worthy sanction most often ...

Last edited:
By any chance

They all do well with Accu

In case anyone was interested, here's a suite of Oceanic Nino Index (ONI) tables via NOAA's new Extended Reconstructed Sea Surface Temperature Version 5 (ERSSTv5) dataset that was released earlier this month and will replace ERSSTv4 wrt the Climate Prediction Center's monitoring of ENSO (after 1950). The data here is presented to the nearest tenth and ENSO events are defined using the CPC's definition of +/- 0.5C seasonally averaged NINO 3.4 region sea surface temperature anomalies for 5 successive tri-monthly periods. The intensity of the 1877-78 super NINO in this dataset is mind boggling and blows every other ENSO event out of the water. +3.11C in DJF 1878?!...
Screen Shot 2017-07-21 at 9.19.49 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-07-21 at 9.24.53 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-07-21 at 9.25.11 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-07-21 at 9.25.44 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-07-21 at 9.26.07 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-07-21 at 9.26.29 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-07-21 at 9.27.20 PM.png

In case anyone was interested, here's a suite of Oceanic Nino Index (ONI) tables via NOAA's new Extended Reconstructed Sea Surface Temperature Version 5 (ERSSTv5) dataset that was released earlier this month and will replace ERSSTv4 wrt the Climate Prediction Center's monitoring of ENSO (after 1950). The data here is presented to the nearest tenth and ENSO events are defined using the CPC's definition of +/- 0.5C seasonally averaged NINO 3.4 region sea surface temperature anomalies for 5 successive tri-monthly periods. The intensity of the 1877-78 super NINO in this dataset is mind boggling and blows every other ENSO event out of the water. +3.11C in DJF 1878?!...
View attachment 707
View attachment 708
View attachment 709
View attachment 710
View attachment 711
View attachment 712
View attachment 713

I guess the big question on a lot of our minds is.............Are we headed towards a La Niña this winter? What are your thoughts on this Eric?

Last edited:
Back