• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Severe DEEP SOUTH Severe Weather threat 18-20th

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it was the NAM late last night that showed the boundary layer decoupling. Under clear sky I'm really starting to think it may happen.

Lets keep the "death and destruction" debate in the banter thread. Everyone seems to have an opinion, maybe even make a new thread where everyone can discuss about it since it seems to pop up during any potential severe weather.

Does James Spann always cover weather in other TV markets ? He's discussing storms in North AL even though they are in the Huntsville market I believe.

Occasionally it happens (I remember they were streaming coverage of the Christmas Day 2012 tornado in Mobile,) but the current storm is affecting Cullman County, which is part of the Birmingham TV market (despite being in the Huntsville CWA).

Occasionally it happens (I remember they were streaming coverage of the Christmas Day 2012 tornado in Mobile,) but the current storm is affecting Cullman County, which is part of the Birmingham TV market (despite being in the Huntsville CWA).
That is so confusing. Cullman should not be in the Huntsville CWA and Birmingham TV market.

The sim radar that I saw a few minutes ago, lights up the Upstate of S.C. between midnight and 3 am!! I mean not tornados or even severe, but pouring rain and solid storms. Looking forward to it!

I'm trying to understand why everyone is calling a bust already when this was always a late afternoon/evening/night time event. For example, my area was forecast to receive the worst around 9 or 10 pm. I have first hand witnessed a late night tornado. I get that instability lowers after sunset when you lose the heat, etc. I mean I hope it doesn't get bad, but I'm not throwing in the towel or letting my guard down yet because they latest models still show that it could get bad later on.

Seems to always be a bad habit to prematurely call any significant weather a bust while it's currently happening, severe weather or otherwise. It gets annoying at times to read. HRRR has the worst of the storms coming here around midnight - 1am which sucks because if it is bad with the hail, damaging winds, lightning/thunder, etc. I'm definitely not getting much sleep tonight. *sigh*

Mesoscale Discussion 0149
NWS Storm Prediction Center Norman OK
0659 PM CDT Mon Mar 19 2018

Areas affected...North central and northeast AL

Concerning...Tornado Watch 13...

Valid 192359Z - 200130Z

The severe weather threat for Tornado Watch 13 continues.

SUMMARY...Cluster of supercells will continue to pose a threat for
tornadoes, large hail, and damaging winds for the next few hours
along the warm front in north central and northeast AL.

DISCUSSION...A cluster of supercells continues to move
east-southeastward across north central AL this evening. Thus far,
the more intense storms have tended to be the lead cells in the
cluster, though interactions with upstream convection have
interfered with more classic supercell structures. Recent discrete
development south of the cluster will lead to additional cell
mergers and a continued messy convective mode. Still, the
storm-scale environment is favorable for tornadic supercells along
the surface warm front in AL, which represents the southern edge of
the stronger low-level shear/hodograph curvature and the northern
edge of the more unstable warm sector.

Status