• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern December, Make analogs relevant again

__jump_off_a_cliff___emoticon_by_neek_zique.gif

just kidding...its too early to jump.:p

Another note, the upcoming colder pattern could last for a good while. Cold air is dense, which is more of a difficult air mass to move. A good coverage snow pack adds to the dense cold air, making even more difficult for the air mass to move. The tall ridging will have the cold air "locked" in place, which also adds, making it difficult to move. Need to watch for impulses (short waves) at the baroclinic zone for cyclogenesis.

12z gfs was great, sustained cold pretty much the whole run, maybe a relax day or so but im ok with that LOL!! Allows more moisture to creep up without being squashed. What more could we ask for for this pattern, its by far the best we had in a long time. Lets keep the positive vibe going on

so, I'm going camping in pisgah national forest next weekend. looks like i may be able to leave the cooler at home! :)

I'm just looking at basic Euro model but that first cold round at 96 does appear deeper the 0z run not sure what will be play-out downstream

yep definitely colder for SE at 120 compared to 0z

Webb, great read and excellent technical detail. Are parts 1 and 2 available to read? You may have referenced them before and I just missed it.

It also probably would have been useful to graphically show this wrt how convective heating in the mid troposphere generates anticyclonic (cyclonic) potential vorticity above (below) it. (LHR = Latent Heat Release)
Screen Shot 2017-12-01 at 1.21.09 PM.png

Last edited:
Will definitely check this out, this was a perfect storm for me. Was in college at Wingate and we got dumped on...being from long island I was kind of used to snows like that but not used to the lack of removal equipment. The entire county was basically shut down for days, all stores within walking distance of campus sold out of beer. It was a giant week long party!

Now, regarding the current models for the 14-16 range...glad we are looking at storm possibilities popping up, but will be even happier when that giant swath of ZR isn't destroying my area. if something like that does develop someone will get crushed with ice though...we'll just have to wait and see.

Wow, if only that could happen here while I'm up at NC State, I would totally be down to party for a week. I definitely won't be a happy camper if a winter storm decides to strike (& completely screw over Fayetteville in the process) while I'm gone for winter break...

If you really want to know - in and out ... just wondering if this is a one shot deal or if the pattern will reload and rebound or if the models past 8 days just are having issues ...

I don’t know and with the way our Decembers have gone of late it’s a one shot deal...But we’ll see!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back