• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc 2017 Banter/venting thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's N FL after March ... try July ... LOL :confused:

PS - You gave me another song line in there!

The other side wasn't really at the point I described, and it was at least a week later, if not a little longer. In that trip, there was one of those summerlike afternoon thunderstorms in 3 or 4 days.

I have no idea why I remember that detail, but that trip was for Wakulla Springs as the main attraction. That was a spectacular first taste of Florida. That place is like an outdoor aquarium in which you can ride a boat on top of it.

I'll make a "cross my heart" deal with folks posting in the severe weather threads and enjoying the weather unfold - I'll pray long and hard that you all have no property damage, no power outage, no days without A/C, no spoiled food in the freezer, and more importantly no loss of limb or life due to any severe this spring, if you'll do the same for me down here come mid-August until early October or so. Deal?
;)

I'll make a "cross my heart" deal with folks posting in the sever weather threads - I'll pray long and hard you all have no property damage, no power outage, no days without A/C, no spoiled food in the freezer, and more importantly any loss of limb or life due to any severe this spring, if you'll do the same for me come mid-August until early October or so. Deal?
;)
Deal :cool:

Thanks and I cleaned it up and added a bit more! :p
Yep, still a Deal. I don't care for the 'canes, either. We have rental property in Orange Beach, AL that took a beating from Ivan back in 2004. Took 6 months to get them back up and running, although we were lucky compared to many who lost everything.

Yep, still a Deal. I don't care for the 'canes, either. We have rental property in Orange Beach, AL that took a beating from Ivan back in 2004. Took 6 months to get them back up and running, although we were lucky compared to many who lost everything.
I ("I" being a word I hate) went 7 days last season with no power at well over 90º with Hermine and then the mess with Matthew a few weeks later ... not to mention Frances and Jeanne in '04 and all the other nuisance TD's in between ....
Could not agree with you more!
I hate 'Canes :cool:
I love winter :D
I'll quit using "I' immediately ... ;)

I ("I" being a word I hate) went 7 days last season with no power at well over 90º with Hermine and then the mess with Matthew a few weeks later ... not to mention Frances and Jeanne in '04 and all the other nuisance TD's in between ....
Could not agree with you more!
I hate 'Canes :cool:
I love winter :D
I'll quit using "I' immediately ... ;)
I remember it well (and you forgot Charley). Florida Power aka Progress Energy aka Duke Energy are customers of the Outage Management software that my group at work develops. Talk about 24-7 support, whew! As soon as we cleaned up after one storm, here came another one. Not a season that I ever care to repeat! Our software was pushed beyond the limits, which in retrospect, has made it much more robust over time. That was the first REAL performance test, to be sure.

I remember it well (and you forgot Charley). Florida Power aka Progress Energy aka Duke Energy are customers of the Outage Management software that my group at work develops. Talk about 24-7 support, whew! As soon as we cleaned up after one storm, here came another one. Not a season that I ever care to repeat! Our software was pushed beyond the limits, which in retrospect, has made it much more robust over time. That was the first REAL performance test, to be sure.
Didn't forget Charlie - he was headed right at us and then did the strangest and most abrupt 90º turn into south central FL - Gainesville is way north - but we were hunkered down for Charlie until about 6 hours before projected landfall and then he did his thing

BTW - our utility sux - you ought to approach them ;)

Didn't forget Charlie - he was headed right at us and then did the strangest and most abrupt 90º turn into south central FL - Gainesville is way north - but we were hunkered down for Charlie until about 6 hours before projected landfall and then he did his thing

I can't lower your bill :p All we do is identify the source of your outages sooner so they can get restored sooner ;) Plus a whole lot of other stuff like meter pinging, etc.

All we do is identify the source of your outages sooner so they can get restored sooner
My point exactly! Can't tell you how many times the recorded message is "We're looking for the problem" :confused:
Gainesville Regional Utilities ... LMAO

Last edited:
Locally owned by the City and they are having issues - the legislature has a bill to set up a board to wrest control ....
Have them contact my company for a demo. I don't know how to PM on this forum, if you do, send me a PM and I'll give you the info. Sounds like they need an Outage Management system :p

Have them contact my company for a demo. I don't know how to PM on this forum, if you do, send me a PM and I'll give you the info. Sounds like they need an Outage Management system :p
PM coming - BTW - Duke Energy supplies the University of Florida which is slap dab in the middle of town - they won't deal with GRU - put 2 and 2 together ... o_O

If we don't start getting rain soon in Georgia and South Carolina, a certain poster on another board will start declaring that 115-120 degree readings will be common in May.

Interesting (for me anyway), but was wondering what if any impact you all thought the eruption of the Kambalny volcano in Russia might have on global weather. It had not erupted in over 250 years and caught scientists completely off guard. TWC has some footage and other sights do as well. I know ash-clouds can and do impact weather. Just curious.

Charlie went right over where I lived in in Orlando. My parents were lucky, they lost power for 12 hours and they had no major damage. My apartment never lost power. Neither did my sisters apartment but she had water damage from water coming thought the walls. I was out of state during Francis and none of my family lost power for Jeanne, but I had friends that lost power for like a week with each storm. I was about ready to move to Nebraska after that hurricane season.

Charlie went right over where I lived in in Orlando. My parents were lucky, they lost power for 12 hours and they had no major damage. My apartment never lost power. Neither did my sisters apartment but she had water damage from water coming thought the walls. I was out of state during Francis and none of my family lost power for Jeanne, but I had friends that lost power for like a week with each storm. I was about ready to move to Nebraska after that hurricane season.
Very surprising that anyone in Charley's path escaped at least a brief outage. The numbers were unprecedented at the time:
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla., Aug. 23 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- In the aftermath
of Hurricane Charley, Progress Energy Florida has restored power to the vast
majority of the company's customers capable of receiving service.
(Logo: http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/20020923/CHM008LOGO-c )
In the hardest hit portion of Progress Energy's service territory, Polk
County, the company has restored power to nearly all customers. The company
continues a pole-by-pole inspection to identify isolated outages not caused by
damage to homes, weatherheads or meter bases.
As a result of Hurricane Charley's devastation, more than 2 million
Florida electricity customers -- including 502,000 served by Progress Energy
-- were without power beginning Friday night, Aug. 13.
Progress Energy mobilized more than 6,000 line crews, tree crews, first
responders and support staff in anticipation of extensive restoration efforts.
They worked around the clock, making steady progress throughout last week in
restoring service.
"Progress Energy employees worked tirelessly to restore power to our
customers," said Progress Energy President and CEO Bill Habermeyer. "This has
been a trying week for many of our customers, and we appreciate their patience
and understanding as we faced many difficult challenges to get their power
back on. While we are still working in parts of the state to rebuild and
repair portions of our infrastructure, all of us can be very proud of the
progress we've made so far."
Since restoration began, crews have ordered and used supplies in
astounding numbers:

Total wire: 5,838,521 feet (1,106 miles; distance between Orlando and Chicago)
Insulators (porcelain support between wire and pole): 43,494
Distribution poles: 2,285 (17.3 miles laid end to end)
Transformers (overhead and underground): 5,779
Splices (used to connect severed lines): 127,184

In addition, 79 of 83 substations have been returned to service and 578 of
700 miles of transmission line have been replaced.

Hurricane Charley caused great damage and generated large amounts of
debris, requiring massive clean-up efforts. Customers should refer to their
city or county debris-removal guidelines for further information. Progress
Energy is not responsible for the removal of tree and yard waste resulting
from Hurricane Charley. Customers with concerns can call Progress Energy's
customer service line at 1-xxx-xxx-xxxx.
Due to the scope of damage by Hurricane Charley, Progress Energy put all
available resources -- including meter readers -- into storm restoration work.
As a result, we have estimated the usage on many customers' meters that would
have been read the week of August 16th in Central Florida, and these customers
will receive an estimated bill for the most recent month's usage. Progress
Energy will adjust bills in the following month's statement to reflect the
time customers were out of service due to outages caused by Hurricane Charley.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back