• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern August Rush

There goes a warning. Not for me yet, but a storm is coming this way for sure.

Severe Thunderstorm Warning
National Weather Service Raleigh NC
913 PM EDT SAT AUG 18 2018

The National Weather Service in Raleigh has issued a

* Severe Thunderstorm Warning for...
Northwestern Harnett County in central North Carolina...
Lee County in central North Carolina...
Southwestern Wake County in central North Carolina...
Southeastern Chatham County in central North Carolina...

* Until 1000 PM EDT

* At 913 PM EDT, a severe thunderstorm was located over Sanford, moving east at 30 mph.

HAZARD...60 mph wind gusts.

SOURCE...Radar indicated.

IMPACT...Expect damage to roofs, siding, and trees.

* Locations impacted include...
Sanford, Lillington, Fuquay-Varina, Angier, Holly Springs,
Broadway, Lemon Springs, Gum Springs, Raven Rock State Park and Olivia.

Been one of the wettest summers I can remember. Even our “dry” periods are interrupted by a half inch of rain here or there. Ground hasn't hardened up yet this summer and that’s great for folks that dig in the dirt for a living. Mack, what you got on the rain gauge today?

Power just went out, smells like pine trees outside. Lightning all around

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Dang "fun" night for you, been hohum here today I'm not complaining. Stay safe

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

You’re getting trained.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hrrr had this train all day and I dismissed it
Dang "fun" night for you, been hohum here today I'm not complaining. Stay safe

It's all fun until the power goes out. Thankful no trees here like I had in knightdale. Want to see the dmg in the morning

You got plenty more on the way too
Hrrr had this train all day and I dismissed itIt's all fun until the power goes out. Thankful no trees here like I had in knightdale. Want to see the dmg in the morning

You got plenty more on the way too

Yeah that stuff back to the west is no joke. Kudos to the models for pointing out a band like this 3 days in advance.

Tomorrow might be similar up your way. Looks like some type of boundary sets up bringing heavy rain

another August rain event here... 20% chance turned into widespread rain lol

Not bad for what is usually our driest month, oh and it was near 100 before the rain...

Actually building north tonight....
Yeah that stuff back to the west is no joke. Kudos to the models for pointing out a band like this 3 days in advance.

Tomorrow might be similar up your way. Looks like some type of boundary sets up bringing heavy rain

Wow, today’s 12Z/18Z model consensus for 8/27-9/2, is suggesting to me a shot at record heat in the Midwest and NE US! I doubt that it would get back to quite as hot as the hottest of this summer with normals already heading down, but in terms of anomalies the models are suggesting as hot as, if not hotter than, the hottest so far this summer up there with no autumn pattern yet in sight.

This pattern progged is one with E US ridging, which would not allow for easy recurving offshore of any tropical cyclone should one then happen to exist just off the SE coast of the US. Fortunately, though we’re approaching the seasonal peak, the tropics are very (eerily) quiet for now with nothing significant progged to form or move to near that potentially dangerous position. I wouldn’t be surprised if this quiet were to persist as the models expect. However, should something unexpectedly develop, it would need to be watched carefully for the CONUS. Remember that some overall quiet past seasons had one bad storm in the wrong place.

2.44 last night per corcorahs report down the street

Pushes August to 7.23. I dont think a run at 10 for the month is impossible

Last edited:
The euro is not as extreme with the ridge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Both the gfs and euro build the core of the high to the west and bring some weak upper level energy across the state Monday arbys Tuesday which would keep us unsettled enough to keep highs more in the 80s.

Both the gfs and euro build the core of the high to the west and bring some weak upper level energy across the state Monday arbys Tuesday which would keep us unsettled enough to keep highs more in the 80s.

Roast beef weather?

Been one of the wettest summers I can remember. Even our “dry” periods are interrupted by a half inch of rain here or there. Ground hasn't hardened up yet this summer and that’s great for folks that dig in the dirt for a living. Mack, what you got on the rain gauge today?
.27 from yesterday evening. Hoping for more today but who knows!? Went to bed with 80% chance of rain today, now down to 40%!
So bring on the mid 90s and dry September weather, who cares ??

Back