• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern April Showers

heh, the ICON is off its rocker, but still manages to snowhole Hamilton Co.
icon_asnow_seus_47.png

SE GA/SE SC now have the worst drought of any place in the E 1/2 of the US with its D2. I've been watering my lawn a lot over the last 10 days, the most in a couple of years. in addition to MBY, this area covers Stormsfury and other CHS, SC, area members as well as folks like Weatherdawg who are near Valdosta, GA.

Edit: We definitely need a lot of rain and that is no BS. KSAV has had only 4.33" of rain in 2018 to date vs the normal of 11.41"! But at least the dry ground is helping to keep dewpoints down and thus making it more comfy for outdoors.

Last edited:
probably the last time you'll see this for 6-8 months, Omega block look... Looks like Spring tries to come in more than 1-3 days at time in late April.
gfs-ens_z500a_us_18.png

Not that it does a Curmudgeon a lick of good, but the statistical probability as of today today to the end of the month is, in a word, insane ...

814temp.new.gif

if you like cool weather in Florida, I suppose you gotta embrace such things...

Gardeners in Kentucky are having fits and convulsions... strange life when you're dependent on latitudes..

We hit 79 so far today... still not as warm as late Feb when we hit 80+ for three consecutive days.. nuts sir.

Even though we need rain here, it was another very pleasant low RH day today. Ignoring the needing rain part, if it could only stay like this for the next 5 months! Going to walk again in this fantastic wx.

SE GA/SE SC now have the worst drought of any place in the E 1/2 of the US with its D2. I've been watering my lawn a lot over the last 10 days, the most in a couple of years. in addition to MBY, this area covers Stormsfury and other CHS, SC, area members as well as folks like Weatherdawg who are near Valdosta, GA.

Edit: We definitely need a lot of rain and that is no BS. KSAV has had only 4.33" of rain in 2018 to date vs the normal of 11.41"! But at least the dry ground is helping to keep dewpoints down and thus making it more comfy for outdoors.

Hopefully you guys can cash in Sunday evening. No weather is worse than drought. Heat is second. Usually they come hand n hand unfortunately.

As nice as this winter was I keep finding myself reverting back to 1935-36 in terms of a benchmark winter in the last century and a half or so. I'll eventually show you guys a detailed snow/sleet accumulation map because the totals statewide over NC were mind boggling. Literally nobody was spared and every station besides one at the southernmost tip of NC south of Wilmington and near Hatteras was in double figures for snowfall. Not only was there a lot of snow, we were cold every single month of the winter wall-to-wall December-February and it ended up being the 3rd coldest winter on record here in NC for DJF. We had every kind of snowfall distribution known to man so everyone was likely genuinely happy at some point and some way, shape, or form and this was also largely true outside of NC for virtually the entire board, at least one sizable winter storm (or more) showed up on your doorstep in 1935-36. It snowed in some parts of central NC in every single month from November to April! Furthermore, we had both a white Christmas and a white New Years here, what more could a snow weenie possibly ask for and how could you top a winter like that?

The snowfall amounts in NC put even great winters like 1898-99 to shame. Just imagine these areas in the pink over east-central NC w/ 2+ feet of snow (which is very large in its own right) and put that over the entire state and you get an idea of what the winter of 1935-36 did to us.
View attachment 5003

As a follow up to this post here's the 1935-36 seasonal map, I wasn't kidding around, this winter was bat s*** crazy. There weren't any crazy large gradients in seasonal totals we often see big dog winters, you could travel on the US-70 corridor from Raleigh all the way down to Morehead City and your totals wouldn't fall off much at all. If you were in central NC in 1935-36 you could pretty much take it to the bank that you had at least 20" of snow that winter, nobody was spared.

Winter of 1935-36 NC Snowmap.png

As a follow up to this post here's the 1935-36 seasonal map, I wasn't kidding around, this winter was bat s*** crazy. There weren't any crazy large gradients in seasonal totals we often see big dog winters, you could travel on the US-70 corridor from Raleigh all the way down to Morehead City and your totals wouldn't fall off much at all. If you were in central NC in 1935-36 you could pretty much take it to the bank that you had at least 20" of snow that winter, nobody was spared.

View attachment 5041
Thanks for the info Eric. Do you think that it's possible that we will see this type of snowfall again in the next couple of decades due to the AMO leaving the warm phase and the period of low solar activity coming up? I read that if the AMO enters the cold phase it should result in the -AO getting stonger overall which theoretically would help our area with snowfall. Any thoughts on this?

Back