• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc 2018 Banter & Venting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's only January. February is climo favored for that area.
Oh yeh I know. I think all this recent potential and the fact that everyone else (almost) has been getting the winter love in the SE has me a bit frustrated. But I know we are due for one, I still think we can manage something this Winter.

I wouldnt think it would be a big deal with such small snow accumulations unless there is ice involved. Driving on an inch or two of snow is a piece of cake. The problem is some idiots drive way too fast which causes problems for others.

Well the problems is we are idiots down here when it snows "Snow Apocalypse" in January 2014 brought the Deep South to its knees with 1-2" snow amounts isolated 2-4" in some areas. Up North yes they laugh at us but becomes life or death in certain situations down this way... And I'm not exaggerating here

I have no issues driving in it at all actually love to but you rarely can get out one roads closed by city county or state so car insurance out the window if in wreck...idiots create massive backups on roadways... And as mentioned very little if any resources to help out with affects of the precip... No such thing as pretreating roads around here LoL.

And if I hurt any "idiots" feelings sorry but some of you need to get off the roads

Edit...To help paint a picture
http://blog.al.com/wire/2014/01/dusting_of_chaos_how_snow_stun.html

Remember the dusting of chaos of 2014?”

We’ll remember the five people dead and 23 injured in Alabama announced so far, with countless people still trying to get home.
BC648055-70A6-43BB-ADEE-FA66D1E7238D.jpeg

Last edited:
You see the thing that people don't realize with 1/28/14, is the snow was melting and turning into ice on roads. It was actually not that much precip, for sure though. But I remember going out and trying to walk on the road behind the dorms at the college I used to go to, figuring that there wasn't that much of an issue...and fell when I got to a bit of a slope because of ice on it. And I could not get up at all because of how slippery it was, I had to literally crawl up that slope.

No, there was no ice that fell from the sky at all there, it was all snow but because of such cold temps, even though the snow was melting at first on the road, it'd freeze on the road and create a sheet of ice. Eventually the snow accumulated over it though, and I was able to use that road to walk back to my dorm later in the afternoon (despite my spill, I wasn't phased about it).

I'm not a fan of dry snow, but that storm is #1 in how fascinating it was with my experience with it. I saw it snow with it in the teens and saw what you'd kind of call light blowing snow early in the morning after it. Plus all of the Atlanta mess too.

Hopefully the warmup from the CPC 8-14 day maps will verify. This cold deal is annoying. It was way too nice the last couple of days (temp wise) to go back to this cold and dry.

I’m tired of these “threats” where we fight for .1 QPF. I want a strong Miller A to track. It might cause us to mix but it’s so much more exciting on models and what not
I would love a good sleet and snow mix. Anything better than these nice storms showing up 5 days out and then going away. 7 to 10 days out is one thing, but now the models are getting worse instead of better.

Sequence of Events to come for 1/16 storm threat:

1. Euro comes in dry tonight
2. People say "H5 looked good should have been more precip"
3. NAM comes in juicy
4. People hug NAM
5. Euro whiffs again
Rinse Repeat til game time

3. NAM comes in juicy
4. People hug NAM
5. Euro whiffs again
Here's what I think:

1. NAM comes in, shows a run that everyone loves
2. GFS comes in completely messy, everyone starts panicking again
3. CMC comes in, everyone starts playing violins as they shoot their towel out of a cannon
4. The Euro comes in and is unchanged or a little wetter. Said people who shot their towels out of cannons run for their towels before 6Z rolls around.
5. Every other random model comes in and people jump aboard them or toss them.

3. NAM comes in juicy
4. People hug NAM
5. Euro whiffs again
Getting NAM'd comes first,
Then somebody breaks out the ICON is great,
Then CMC sucks
NAVGEM looks ok, can't see well with these cruddy maps
Now GFS sucked, let's see ensembles