• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc 2018 Banter & Venting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
How come during the winter, we can't buy a negative NAO/AO, yet any other time of the year, we can't get rid of it! :(

I got a new heating and air unit a few weeks ago, and it has the auto setting where you can set the cool temp and heat temp, and it will cool or heat automatically based on those temps. The settings have to have at least a 3 degree difference. Trying to figure out what I want to set the temps at. Right now I have the cool set at 74 and the heat at 71.

I got a new heating and air unit a few weeks ago, and it has the auto setting where you can set the cool temp and heat temp, and it will cool or heat automatically based on those temps. The settings have to have at least a 3 degree difference. Trying to figure out what I want to set the temps at. Right now I have the cool set at 74 and the heat at 71.
67 70

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

We always set the temp on new construction to 72( summer)- 68 ( Winter) but it all really depends on your liking and what you want to spend every month. We always install .5 ton over needed to lessen workload stress on the unit.

I like 74-75 AC and ~71 heat.
I can't get my thermostat to get to the auto-changeover option on the touch screen though the manual has it as an option. I have a Trane heat pump. I'm going to call Trane tomorrow to see why and see if there's a way to get to that option on mine.

It also has a sett
I can't get my thermostat to get to the auto-changeover option on the touch screen though the manual has it as an option. I have a Trane heat pump. I'm going to call Trane tomorrow to see why and see if there's a way to get to that option on mine.
We got a Trane, too. Our other unit was 19 years old. The air was okay, but the heat was hardly working. Hope the new unit will save on the power bill, too.

Mine is a Trane XL20i with a touch pad that is worse (or better) to work than an iPhone; I set A/C to 72º Mon - Fri -- 5:00 AM to 8:00 AM and 4:30 PM to 10:00 PM; 80º after; Sat and Sunday - a bit more cooling during the day; for winter I simply touch a command and its 68º from Mon - Fri -- 5:00 AM to 8:00 AM and 4:30 PM to 10:00 PM and 64º afterwards); Sat and Sunday, a bit more during the day, and 64º at night; but, it has an "auto" option that lets me set it to keep a range regardless of the season, and a humidity function (which I keep at 50%) that overrides everything in case North FL gets too humid (who'da thunk); plus, if and when it ever gets above 80º or below 50º inside, even if no one is within 100 miles, it adjusts to keep it liveable anyway; for well over 3000 sq feet and letting it do its thing, my bill is less than 1/2 of what it was before that beast was installed. Bottom line, if the climate is variable, and if your touch screen allows, that Trane auto feature, and the humidity sensor are a real plus ... :confused:

Last edited:
You people are wussies. I've never had A/C in my life. I'm used to the house getting to 85+ during the day. I just use fans and it makes it bearable.

Mine is a Trane XL20i with a touch pad that is worse (or better) to work than an iPhone; I set A/C to 72º Mon - Fri -- 5:00 AM to 8:00 AM and 4:30 PM to 10:00 PM; 80º after; Sat and Sunday - a bit more cooling during the day; for winter I simply touch a command and its 68º from Mon - Fri -- 5:00 AM to 8:00 AM and 4:30 PM to 10:00 PM and 64º afterwards); Sat and Sunday, a bit more during the day, and 64º at night; but, it has an "auto" option that lets me set it to keep a range regardless of the season, and a humidity function (which I keep at 50%) that overrides everything in case North FL gets too humid (who'da thunk); plus, if and when it ever gets above 80º or below 50º inside, even if no one is within 100 miles, it adjusts to keep it liveable anyway; for well over 3000 sq feet and letting it do its thing, my bill is less than 1/2 of what it was before that beast was installed. Bottom line, if the climate is variable, and if your touch screen allows, that Trane auto feature, and the humidity sensor are a real plus ... :confused:
Yes, mine has the auto feature and humidity feature. Sounds like it should work well with how the weather swings around here.

You people are wussies. I've never had A/C in my life. I'm used to the house getting to 85+ during the day. I just use fans and it makes it bearable.
Do you have books? Clothes? Other things of value? Tile and grout?
Mildew ever a problem?
Truly not being judgemental at all, but just askin' in the 21st Century ... :eek:

My dad always likes to keep the A/C at 76-77 and is a stickler about when he turns on the heat and air. There's been some days that have been hot already but he hasn't turned it on and is still going back and forth with the heat (off, then on again, then off again).

It's not bad, but I do live in a more wooded area which can help. It can get bad when it's really hot, but usually for me it's not terrible and when I'm home I like to sit in one of the warmer rooms of the house.

I remember when the A/C was broken for a couple summers. Woof, that was terrible. I mean it still ran but it was not controlling the air temp and it was getting into the mid 80s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back