• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc 2018 Banter & Venting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like I'm moving to Greenville or charlotte from bham in next 3 weeks. I would assume charlotte gets more snow right??
Actually again, it’s location around there. If you live in northern part of Mecklenburg county, up by lake Norman, you get a lot more snow than the Airport area, 95% of the time. Go read some of the winter storm threads from AMWX in the Southeast thread, it’s talked about a lot , even with this year’s events and especially some of the 2016/17 events

Actually again, it’s location around there. If you live in northern part of Mecklenburg county, up by lake Norman, you get a lot more snow than the Airport area, 95% of the time. Go read some of the winter storm threads from AMWX in the Southeast thread, it’s talked about a lot , even with this year’s events and especially some of the 2016/17 events

very true. There was a storm last year where 10-15 minutes away from me was getting hammered with giant feathery flakes while I watched a raging sleet storm at home (just NE of uptown). Went to work the next morning (south Charlotte, close to Pineville) and there was barely even evidence of sleet. Charlotte and wintry weather is a fickle beast.

My signature describes this exactly, North Charlotte suburbs and the I-40 region do the best when it comes to storms down here.

Sent from my Z983 using Tapatalk

I'm really hoping D.C stays snowless until at least after Thursday afternoon. My worst fear is that it ends up being way colder there than it's currently forecast.

Sent from my Z983 using Tapatalk

Brent I have a question. Are TX summers worse than AL summers ? I mean i Imagine its not quite as humid there.

its a mixed bag, the humidity isn't as bad up here inland, but my biggest problem with Texas summers is they last far too long. Dallas can hit 100 as early as April and late as October, and 90s into November last year... its just too much... it never feels like we have a proper fall, which at least in Alabama we did. I don't mind the heat so much in the actual summer as it needs to end at some point and some years it feels like its never going to

Texas has been good to me on a personal level but yeah I completely despise the weather here so often lol

Last edited:
I dont get why people get obsessed over whether DC gets snow or not. You never see anyone get obsessed over whether Cinci or Indy get snow. Whats the deal ?

I dont get why people get obsessed over whether DC gets snow or not. You never see anyone get obsessed over whether Cinci or Indy get snow. Whats the deal ?
It's easy. DC often gets snow that we are modeled to get at some point. It makes some feel good when they get shafted in a similar fashion. The same applies to folks south of NC who like to complain about NC getting snow.

I gues the same reason your obsessed with latitude and longitude. Stuff like Seattle and New York are at the same latitude, why does NY get so much more snow? Is it normal to hit 75 in ATL in Feb? You know, that kind of great stuff

1,000 likes! Who the heck cares about DC snow unless you're traveling there or have family/friend there? On a SE forum much less. People must have a heck of a lot of free time on their hands or are bored to death?

I personally want to end winter having more snow than them, that's all.

Per records even if we include the unfinished 2017-8 for which ATL is still ahead: KDCA has had more SN/IP than KATL in 97% of the seasons since 1884-5. Besides 2017-8, the only ones for which KATL had more were 2001-2, 1997-8, and 1972-3. So, I admittedly can understand the interest in seeing if KATL holds on with its higher amount this winter since historically that is a rare occurrence of only one in 33 or so seasons. I mean it could easily not happen again for many decades. Note that two of the 4 were very strong El Nino winters.

Last edited:
DC vs Raleigh since 1886-7: 84% of winters have had more SN/IP in DC
DC vs Atlanta since 1883-4: 97% of winters have had more SN/IP in DC
DC vs SAV since 1883-4: 99% of winters have had more SN/IP in DC

These are assuming 2017-8 ends up with more at ATL and RDU than DC.

So, it isn't rare for RDU to beat DC since it happens once every 6 or so winters vs the 1 every 33 at ATL and less than one in hundred at SAV.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back