• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc 2018 Banter & Venting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
5fbe1d7e7f1aec3139633eead083d398.jpg

Sent from my SM-J320VPP using Tapatalk
Back to the future part 5:)

Yup,
My old stomping grounds - wait until after Easter ...

South Bend, IN
View attachment 3852
Fortunately I am well south of South Bend so spring should come here a little sooner. Im definitely expecting a day here or there in the 60s come March. MAYBE next week we reach the 50s. Thursday looks to be the last day with highs below freezing hopefully until next winter.

Fortunately I am well south of South Bend so spring should come here a little sooner. Im definitely expecting a day here or there in the 60s come March. MAYBE next week we reach the 50s. Thursday looks to be the last day with highs below freezing hopefully until next winter.
Highly unlikely that Thursday will be the last day of below freezing high temps for you.

A thought, even if you think you like cold, if you spend a lot of your life living in a certain area, you aren't going to like it if you go up north as you're not used to it.

There's a possibility it's not like this anymore as we're talking about the 60s and 70s, but my dad is from Northeast Ohio and has talked a lot about how there would be snow cover for a lot, if not all of winter and about the times he used to walk to school with drifts that were over his head on both sides of him.

This isn't even Buffalo, and not really an area that gets it good with lake effect (but it does get it).

That being said the weather isn't really why that side of my family left (it is for a lot of people that move south but it wasn't in this case). My grandpa was diagnosed with cancer and given a poor prognosis and that's why he decided to leave. He wanted easier work in his profession since he wasn't thinking he was going to live (he obviously did, I think for a little over four decades), so he took work in Athens, GA and moved his family south.

A thought, even if you think you like cold, if you spend a lot of your life living in a certain area, you aren't going to like it if you go up north as you're not used to it.

There's a possibility it's not like this anymore as we're talking about the 60s and 70s, but my dad is from Northeast Ohio and has talked a lot about how there would be snow cover for a lot, if not all of winter and about the times he used to walk to school with drifts that were over his head on both sides of him.

This isn't even Buffalo, and not really an area that gets it good with lake effect (but it does get it).

That being said the weather isn't really why that side of my family left (it is for a lot of people that move south but it wasn't in this case). My grandpa was diagnosed with cancer and given a poor prognosis and that's why he decided to leave. He wanted easier work in his profession since he wasn't thinking he was going to live (he obviously did, I think for a little over four decades), so he took work in Athens, GA and moved his family south.
Good true story told, and it mirrors my G'Pa from Ireland - though it wasn't cancer, it was chlorine from WW1... Dadgum I love and admire folks who persevere and take it upon themselves to strive and succeed despite what this old Earth tosses them ... ;)

Last edited:
Good call, RC/CR! Almost +600 as it finished +567 and it topped right at +600! It closed a whopping 1,135 or so above the day's low!! Thank you, Mr. President! ;)
Thanks man. Easy call today. PPT jumped in last night with the stick save. It was definitely going to finish much higher today. Tomorrow will probably be higher, but it’s a tougher call. RN, I would lean toward a moderate to large up day.

I hope JB shuts his snow hole! He's been cryin and bitchin about no snow for awhile! Looks like he should get 6-12" ! Enough to bury his Guinea pigs! :weenie:

Good true story told, and it mirrors my G'Pa from Ireland - though it wasn't cancer, it was chlorine from WW1... Dadgum I love and admire folks who persevere and take it upon themselves to strive and succeed despite what this old Earth tosses them ... ;)

He had one heck of a life story, not just him beating the cancer because of where he was born and the timeperiod he was born in...

I'm not Brent, but since I saw a thunder ZR post, I'll spin that off into this thread. I remember with 1/26/04, which was a little bit of a nasty surprise in some areas in East GA/SC, that in one case in which where I was walking to the gym in elementary school, I heard cracking and booms. All of the eight year olds in the class, including myself weren't amused. But we thought it was trees falling, I've checked back long after and realized that this moment was thunder ZR!

Talking about it again, man this day comes flooding back to me. This ice storm was an almost total nasty surprise apparently to the area mets, as school wasn't cancelled for some reason and I remember a moment, where my dad was making the short drive to my school and he was grumbling "Why wasn't school cancelled?" Then, since everyone was thinking that the ZR might just be for a short duration, the tension was seemingly slowly building at school as the ZR continued to go on outside. Then this happened and sometime around lunchtime the power went off (a generator took over) and the county board finally came to their senses and cancelled the rest of the day (and later the following two days, with the second of the days not really being necessary). My dad had to come pick me up and had to take the long cut home because of a big fallen tree and when we got home I came into the living room to a very upset mom because of the situation.

It's because of that storm in which my dad said "If this circumstance comes up again and the county foolishly doesn't cancel, I'm going to keep you out". Lol even now, with the snow that didn't really accumulate back in January, until I told him my college closed he said "There's no reason for you to go to class today".

As far as President's Day weekend, I don't know whether to expect cold and dry, ice, snow, severe Bruce storms, or just boring, 50s, and dilly dilly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back