• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc 2017 Banter/venting thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The February '79 storm and the March '83 storm you've mentioned in your post, are rather vague in my memory. But, for some reason I vividly recall the mid-February and March 1980 (I'm sure many, North Carolinian's would remember that particular storm) snowstorms, respectively.

I was a kid during all those storms (I was born several days before the February '73 bonanza snowstorm), but can remember those 1980 winter snowstorms better than the others mentioned above.

Last edited:
I’m still trying to get over the fact that I️ got only an inch while areas 30 miles northwest of me got like 10 inches.

Well, you can imagine how I felt with this particular storm in late February 2004:
http://dnr.sc.gov/climate/sco/Publications/winter_Feb25_27_2004.php
nwscae0204.jpg

I ended up with 0.5 of snow/sleet, while areas north and northwest of me (ranging 30-50 miles away) picked up anywhere from 6-12" of snow.

My top 5 SN or IP, which were of course dependent on whether I was in ATL or SAV when they occurred:

1. Jan of 1977 in SAV: getting TWO accumulating snows totalling 2.0" (both 0.7"+) in one month in SAV of all places, along with it being the coldest month on record back to 1871, including a 72 hour period of 33 or colder was an experience beyond description. It was 3 colder than an average ATL Jan!
2. Feb of 1968 in SAV, when I woke up to 3.6" of totally unexpected snow as a very young kid. That was then the heaviest there in well over 100 years!
3. Feb of 1973 in SAV, when I woke up to 3.2" of totally unexpected snow as a not as young kid.
4. Jan of 1982 snowjam in ATL: this is obvious. The total SN/IP was large at 7.0" but there was a lot more to it than just the measurement.
5. Feb of 1979 4.2" IP in ATL, my first accumulating IP. I never had any idea IP could add up like that and look so white! And boy did it stick around! 4" of IP is easily comparable to 10" of SN!
6. I have to add #6 so I can include the Storm of the Century, 3/1993, my 1st blizzard (~7-8" on northside of ATL). Again, it wasn't just the large accumulation.

Big storms I missed because I was in the wrong city:
- 12/1989 SAV 3.6": this could easily have been my #1 storm
- 3/1983 ATL: 7.9", ATL largest since 1/1940! But I actually got some token IP in SAV.
- 1/2002 ATL: 4.6"
- 1/2011 ATL: 4.4" SN/IP
- 12/2017 ATL: ~7" northside
Hey there, Larry. I'm new here and I would like to ask a question if you don't mind. Has there ever been a single snowstorm that was greater than 8.3 inches in Atlanta that's just not on official NWS records for some reason? I'm interested to know. Thanks.

Hey there, Larry. I'm new here and I would like to ask a question if you don't mind. Has there ever been a single snowstorm that was greater than 8.3 inches in Atlanta that's just not on official NWS records for some reason? I'm interested to know. Thanks.
As evidenced by March '93, and this amazing Dec storm just past, there can be great variability just within the Metro. ATL snow records mean different things to someone who lives in northern Cobb, vs someone who lives close to Hartsfield.

Welcome, Clayton! Whamby has a good point. However, I'll still address official ATL. ATL (downtown station) received 10" when the airport got 8.3" late in 1/1940. Also, they got 9.6" in a mid Jan of 1893 storm.

They got ~9" over a 4 day period in Feb of 1885, but that technically might very well be from back to back storms like 1/1982 rather than from one. I don't know. The snowiest month on record is nearly a foot but that's from 3 different systems. One could argue that 4" of IP, which ATL has received several times like in 1/1979 and 1/1988, is equivalent to ~10" of snow. They had 7" of SN & IP lieing on the ground at the end of the 56 hour elapsed three pronged 12/1886 storm from near 1.8" liquid equivalent. An argument could be made to make this their #1 storm. For one thing, there very likely were several inches more that actually fell since the duration was so long and there were several multihour long breaks. There had to be some settling over a 56 hour period, especially considering the 1.8" of liquid equivalent. Furthermore, a good portion was IP.

The foot of snow was awesome, but damage it left has been a pain in the ass. First lost power for 40 hrs and the same day it comes back on, the water goes out. They issue a water boil advisory, but there’s nothing to boil lol. No eta on getting water back.

I have Patriots vs Vikings in the Super Bowl. I had Patriots vs Eagles but Carson Wentz tore his ACL.

Welcome, Clayton! Whamby has a good point. However, I'll still address official ATL. ATL (downtown station) received 10" when the airport got 8.3" late in 1/1940. Also, they got 9.6" in a mid Jan of 1893 storm.

They got ~9" over a 4 day period in Feb of 1885, but that technically might very well be from back to back storms like 1/1982 rather than from one. I don't know. The snowiest month on record is nearly a foot but that's from 3 different systems. One could argue that 4" of IP, which ATL has received several times like in 1/1979 and 1/1988, is equivalent to ~10" of snow. They had 7" of SN & IP lieing on the ground at the end of the 56 hour elapsed three pronged 12/1886 storm from near 1.8" liquid equivalent. An argument could be made to make this their #1 storm. For one thing, there very likely were several inches more that actually fell since the duration was so long and there were several multihour long breaks. There had to be some settling over a 56 hour period, especially considering the 1.8" of liquid equivalent. Furthermore, a good portion was IP.
Thank you for your expertise! I was just curious if it was possible.

When was the snowiest month if you don't mind my asking? And what year was it? What were the inches?

gotta love the ebb and flow with each and every model run. Daggone it, yeah; shoot, fun, torch, freezer, meh, toss it, maybe, if, then, only, why, crap, winters over (yet it just barely started)

Corrected from -
I can't believe elementary schools let their kids post on these boards during the day

To - From the way some people act you would think elementary schools are letting kids post online.

Last edited:
gotta love the ebb and flow with each and every model run. Daggone it, yeah; shoot, fun, torch, freezer, meh, toss it, maybe, if, then, only, why, crap, winters over (yet it just barely started)

I can't believe elementary schools let their kids post on these boards during the day

It would be a boring wx board w/o it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back