• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc 2017 Banter/venting thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I visited the SE forum at American today.

tumbleweed-o.gif

That is stunning! Is it a fogbow? Reminded me of this clear blue sky rainbow I saw last summer - does anyone have an explanation for this?
windows 7 screen shotcertificity.com

If I were guessing (pure guess here), it's likely water droplets in the darker clouds refracting just right off the sun in that instance. It likely didn't last very long at all. I tend to get those rainbow looks with a water hose sometimes watering a garden in mostly sunny conditions with a couple dark clouds in the distance. But if i move the hose just right, it goes away instantly.

If I were guessing (pure guess here), it's likely water droplets in the darker clouds refracting just right off the sun in that instance. It likely didn't last very long at all. I tend to get those rainbow looks with a water hose sometimes watering a garden in mostly sunny conditions with a couple dark clouds in the distance. But if i move the hose just right, it goes away instantly.
This lasted over half an hour.

So from what I gather the severe weather threat this week is mostly in the south central part of the country (LA,AR, etc) and most of the southeast should be spared the worst. Is that correct ?

So from what I gather the severe weather threat this week is mostly in the south central part of the country (LA,AR, etc) and most of the southeast should be spared the worst. Is that correct ?

Today and tonight's threat will weaken the further east it gets .

Another threat on Sunday will include more of the region

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Today and tonight's threat will weaken the further east it gets .

Another threat on Sunday will include more of the region

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No time to study so if anyone has something more "pronounced" - please post - but here's quickly what I'm seeing towards Sunday:

Screen_Shot_2017-04-26_at_4.15.52_PM.png

day5prob.gif

THIS DAY THOUGH! It has been six years and the memories are still fresh and haunting. The weather weenie in me was so excited and then the human side of me was crushed. Spann included this from author Rick Bragg in his blog this morning. So eloquently sums it up:

“Where the awful winds bore down, massive oaks, 100 years old, were shoved over like stems of grass, and great pines, as big around as 55-gallon drums, snapped like sticks. Church sanctuaries, built on the Rock of Ages, tumbled into random piles of brick. Houses, echoing with the footfalls of generations, came apart, and blew away like paper. Whole communities, carefully planned, splintered into chaos. Restaurants and supermarkets, gas stations and corner stores, all disintegrated, glass storefronts scattered like diamonds on black asphalt. It was as if the very curve of the Earth was altered, horizons erased altogether, the landscape so ruined and unfamiliar that those who ran from this thing, some of them, could not find their way home.

We are accustomed to storms, here where the cool air drifts south to collide with the warm, rising damp from the Gulf, where black clouds roil and spin and unleash hell on Earth. But this was different, a gothic monster off the scale of our experience and even our imagination, a thing of freakish size and power that tore through state after state and heart after Southern heart, killing hundreds, hurting thousands, even affecting, perhaps forever, how we look at the sky.”

Since people love to start a thread for every possible severe event, can we start a thread for the potential for the biggest May snowstorm on record in the Twin Cities on Monday ?

NWS is saying 94º here tomorrow; TWC is saying 97º -- either way that -NAO better pop soon -- this heat is toooo soon.:mad:

OK - rant over ... :p

NWS is saying 94º here tomorrow; TWC is saying 97º -- either way that -NAO better pop soon -- this heat is toooo soon.:mad:

OK - rant over ... :p
It's going to be hot here too. 85 degrees on Saturday ! But then it will cool down to 73 on Monday :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back