• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Winter 2018-19 Discussion

That is a strong high pressure next weekend. If we can get some moisture. We might get a wintry mix for some folks

Sounds like it would be more for the north east. It has to trend a lot colder to be a snow producer for the southeast outside the mountains.
Exactly. This is probably going to be a long winter of near misses for the Eastern half of NC. It will be warm nose city around here. The MA and NE will probably get crushed this winter with this pattern.

Op GFS has been backing off the strength of the NAO block for several runs in a row now. EPS still looks great and GEFS looks solid too. Curious to see if GEFS starts to back off.

gfs_z500a_nhem_fh168_trend (2).gif

Screen Shot 2018-11-17 at 11.20.04 AM.png

Op GFS has been backing off the strength of the NAO block for several runs in a row now. EPS still looks great and GEFS looks solid too. Curious to see if GEFS starts to back off.

View attachment 7478

View attachment 7477

Realistically it would have never been close to -4 which would be record breaking, so a -NAO between -2 and -3 is best bet, which is what the Euro and EPS have held so far. It would suck to have this trend away from us, and I’ve seen signs of it getting weaker in the LR near the turn of the month....but it’s hard for models to handle so we just have to wait. If it holds, the FV3 isn’t the only model that will show southern snows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Realistically it would have never been close to -4 which would be record breaking, so a -NAO between -2 and -3 is best bet, which is what the Euro and EPS have held so far. It would suck to have this trend away from us, and I’ve seen signs of it getting weaker in the LR near the turn of the month....but it’s hard for models to handle so we just have to wait. If it holds, the FV3 isn’t the only model that will show southern snows.

Our last winter month with a -NAO was I think March 2013. That was the winter it wouldn’t stop snowing on Boston. Would be a gut punch if this fizzled away or was transient. Don’t think it will be though.

Good post, Jon.
Without doing a statistical analysis, but based on years and years on model study, it seems that by and very large, models tend to overestimate many teleconnections, but the over-estimation bias award seems to go to the longer range -NAO forecasts ...
Best and thanks for your continued and insightful observations and thoughts!
Phil

Reactions: Jon

View attachment 7478

View attachment 7477

Man don't start that talk. You'll mess the whole thing up! lol. As long as we keep seeing this below, I think we're gold. It seems to be getting closer and closer in too, rather than moving farther out like we're used to. The western trough seems to be fading away and the eastern trough seems to be getting stronger to our NE. Along with the split flow, I'm not sure what else we can ask for other than for it to be mid January. Hopefully it doesn't go poof. We're due for a nice -NAO/-EPO December right?

gfs-ens_z500a_nhem_51.png

What will this do exactly?

Warming of the tropical pacific would probably occur within the first week or two of the WWB because we already have a Kelvin Wave there and if this WWB is strong enough it could trigger another downwelling Kelvin Wave that would later warm the east-central Pacific sometime in January or February, keeping us in a NINO throughout the duration of the winter and potentially into the spring

Hey Webberweather53 I'm a newbie here on this site but my question is what is a Kelvin wave and what causes it? I have a lot to learn

A Kelvin wave is an eastward propagating wave (in this case it moves along the thermocline or the boundary in the upper ocean that separates warm near-surface water from cold water in the deep ocean). This eastward propagating wave balances earth's rotation against a barrier like the equator for instance and moves along it at 5 mph (2 meters per second) or so. The downwelling Kelvin wave marks the transition zone from upwelling on the equator to downwelling and advection (movement of something, in this instance warm water from the West Pacific) eastward to the east-central Pacific. This warm water is essentially what characterizes El Nino and these Kelvin Waves take about 2 or 3 months to cross the pacific ocean, therefore warming of the sea surface directly related to them lags by a few months as a result, hence why I mentioned January or February as a potential time frame for any new kelvin wave that forms from this westerly wind burst in the Pacific to reach the east Pacific and warm the sea surface temperatures (SSTs) there

Hey Webberweather53 I'm a newbie here on this site but my question is what is a Kelvin wave and what causes it? I have a lot to learn

If you want to learn more about the Kelvin Wave, this is arguably my favorite video on the phenomena especially if you're a visual learner!

Close to something on the GFS December 2nd. Their just seems to be to much potential in that time frame for someone in the southeast not to get something.

Back